The AVCA Division I Head Coaches Committee provides an opportunity for coaches to exercise their voice as well as presents a chance to give back to the volleyball community.
The committee holds a call once a month throughout the school year where they discuss current events in volleyball and the AVCA.
If you are interested in serving on this committee, please contact the committee chair, Kirsten Bernthal Booth.
Committee Responsibilities and Structure
DI HCC Chair Responsibilities
- Solicit committee for monthly conference call agenda items
- Set up monthly conference call through AVCA Office
- Provide AVCA staff and committee members with agenda the Monday prior to the monthly Wednesday call
- Maintain committee composition, solicit and appoint members to vacant seats
- Maintain an active and effective committee; enforce committee policies
- Coordinate subcommittees and/or task forces
- Develop agenda and run Div. I meetings at annual AVCA Convention
- Work closely with AVCA Legislative Rep. and with the Legislative Issues Operating Code.
- Meet with the NCAA Volleyball Championship Committee each year in Feb. along with AVCA Executive Director and AVCA President.
DI HCC Committee Members Responsibilities
The function of this committee is to advise the chair, AVCA staff and board of directors with regard to matters directly relating to NCAA Division I Volleyball. Some areas may include legislation, recruiting, video exchange, convention agenda, membership marketing, ethics and conduct and general issues as they arise. The discussion and action items will go directly to the board for action.
- To be present once every month on the one-hour committee conference call
- To meet in person, as a committee, at the annual convention in December
- To distribute all information from the committee chair or other AVCA board member to their respective conference coaches in a timely fashion
- To have a working knowledge of the AVCA Legislative Operating Code
- To submit votes from their conference (collected from each coach in their conference) on legislative issues that have been put forth into the AVCA Legislative Operating Code (and any other votes needed)
- To participate on committees if asked and as directed by Committee Chair.
Composition of Committee
The committee shall consist of thirty-five 35 members:
- one (1) chair
- one (1) representative from each of the thirty-two 32 conferences
- one (1) Representative from the independent schools
- one (1) AVCA staff representative
AVCA Division I committee members must be AVCA members in good standing for the duration on their term.
In Division I, the conference representatives for the head coach committee and the assistant coach committee will come from different institutions.
Members should serve three-year terms with members terms staggered so that no more than one-third of the members are replaced each year. Members are limited to two consecutive terms and must be off the committee one year before serving again.
If the member's initial term filled an un-expired term, the member is eligible for re-election to two additional three-year terms. All terms of service begin and end in traditional calendar year, January through December.
Should a member miss three unexcused calls within one term that member shall be immediately removed from the committee and replaced.
Committee members can be appointed by their Conference Office or solicited by the DI HCC Committee Chair. The committee chair will make every attempt to include coaches that are not currently involved in other AVCA committees whenever possible.