August 14, 2008
12:30 p.m. ET
I. ROLL CALL
Chair: Brenda Williams, Olivet Nazarene
Present on the call: Kim Norman (Frontier), Jim Smoot (Golden State Athletic), Katy Meyer (Independent), Christy Clawson (Red River Athletic), Jon Campbell (Gulf Coast Athletic Conf.), Kyle Van Den Bosch (Great Plains Athletic), Josh Crosier (Men's Rep), Mary Penrod (Heart of America Athletic), Bob Heersema (Chicagoland Collegiate), Todd Humphry (TranSouth Athletic), Jennifer Lawrence (Independent), Paul Swanson (American Mideast), Peggy Tuter (Midlands Collegiate Athletic), Leo Sayles (Appalachian Athletic), Candace Moats (Mid-Central College Conf.), Kevin Hudson (Assistant Coaches), Israel Negron (Legislative Rep), Kevin Kitchen, Stew McDole, Will Engle (AVCA liaison)
Absent on the call: Excused: Mike Gibson (Wolverine-Hoosier), Ryan DeLong (Midwest Collegiate Conf.), John Yehling (American Midwest Conf.)
Committee Chair: Brenda Williams
Brenda noted that she is still looking for representatives from each conference.
III. AVCA MEMBERSHIP
AVCA membership update for each conference - AVCA staff put together a 10-point "reason to be an AVCA member" sheet to offer to those members of each conference that are not members of the AVCA. Let's all work on getting 85% membership or better for the conferences this season - all HCC members must be current members of the AVCA.
IV. AVCA UPDATE
AVCA Staff: Will Engle
- 1. Convention registration opens August 29, 2008.
- 2. New opportunity to get a discount on AVCA Convention registration: Sign up to be a demonstrator, and get a rebate for half of a convention registration. First 25 to apply will be accepted.
- 3. New for 2008 - AVCA Thirty Under 30 honors the top 30 coaches under 30 years old. See the AVCA Web site for more details.
- 4. New staff member is Amanda Brungs, began at the office on August 11, 2008. She will help Ashley Beil with membership and awards.
V. LEGISLATIVE UPDATE
NAIA Staff: Israel Negron
- 1) Israel noted that there have been a lot of questions about prospective students and what can be done in the summertime.
- 2) Discussion on recruitment of Two-Year College students.
- 3) Contact Israel or the NAIA's new legislative employee with any questions: 816-595-8180.
VI. SUBCOMMITTEE REPORTS
- 1. Webcasting Subcommittee - Trying to get with school on which matches are being webcast in 2008.
- 2. Membership Subcommittee - Working on contacting schools as everyone is beginning to return from the summer break.
- 3. Independents - Embry-Riddle will host the new Independents postseason tournament, to include three schools plus the host. They are working on getting more organized on a formal basis. There will be a website for NAIA independents coming soon.
- 4. Recognition Committee - Proposal for AVCA/NAIA awards at a regional level. The Association of Independent Institutions now needs to be in the loop to ensure they are included. The regional committee will consist of one representative from each conference. The HCC representative can be the point person for selecting the regional committee representative.
- 5. Competition Committee - Ruth Stein gave the committee the postseason important dates for 2008.
XI. ACTION ITEMS
1. AVCA membership drive - help Christy Clawson by contacting coaches in your conference who are not members and encourage them to join
2. Get names from the conferences that need representatives on this committee. If they are in your old region please make a call to that conference.
Next NAIA HCC conference call scheduled for September 3, 2008 at 12:30 p.m. ET.
Call adjourned at 1:38 p.m. (ET)