September 3, 2008
1:30 p.m. ET
I. ROLL CALL
Chair: Brenda Williams, Olivet Nazarene
Present on the call: Kim Norman (Frontier), Jim Smoot (Golden State Athletic), Peggy Tuter (Midlands Collegiate Athletic), Katy Meyer (Independent), Christy Clawson (Red River Athletic), Mike Gibson (Wolverine-Hoosier), Jon Campbell (Gulf Coast Athletic Conf.), Ryan DeLong (Midwest Collegiate Conf.), Josh Crosier (Men's Rep), Mary Penrod (Heart of America Athletic), Jennifer Lawrence (Independent), Leo Sayles (Appalachian Athletic), Kevin Kitchen (American Mideast), Craig Mosqueda (KIAC), Jeff Hulsemeyer (Mid-South), Nathalea Stephenson (Kansas Collegiate Athletic), Stew McDole, Israel Negron (Legislative Rep), Ruth Stein (NAIA staff), Will Engle (AVCA liaison)
Absent on the call: Excused: Kyle Van Den Bosch (Great Plains Athletic), Candace Moats (Mid-Central College Conf.), Kevin Hudson (Assistant Coaches), Bob Heersema (Chicagoland Collegiate), Todd Humphry (TranSouth Athletic), John Yehling (American Midwest Conf.)
II. AVCA CONVENTION
AVCA Staff: Will Engle
1. Convention registration opened August 29, 2008.
2. New opportunity to get a discount on AVCA Convention registration: Sign up to be a demonstrator, and get a rebate for half of a convention registration. First 25 to apply will be accepted.
III. SUBCOMMITTEE REPORTS
1. Webcasting Subcommittee - Kim Norman has been working with Olivet Nazarene to help understand webcasting better, and what makes a good webcast. The committee decided to concentrate on finding quality of matches and quality of webcasts instead of quantity when choosing the AVCA Webcast Match of the Week.
2. Membership Subcommittee - Christy Clawson is going to send a list of members to the committee, and get the committee's help with recruiting members.
3. Independents - Katy Meyer gave an update on the NAIA independents.
4. Recognition Committee - Stew McDole informed the committee that the new NAIA/AVCA regional recognition has been expanded to include independents. Recommendations by the committee now go to the NAC for approval. Ruth Stein noted that the NAIA Coaches Manual explains the process.
5. Competition Committee - Ruth Stein informed the committee that the national office just finalized the Opening Round information, bid forms and host manuals. The Coaches Manual is up-to-date on the NAIA Web site, with changes highlighted in gray. Tachikara balls will be sent out for all postseason matches, including conference tournaments.
IV. OLD BUSINESS
Committee Chair: Brenda Williams
Don't forget about the Tachikara Contact, Chris Morton, at Tachikara - 913-498-1881 ext. 205. Tachikara is the official volleyball for the NAIA.
V. NEW BUSINESS
1. Statistics - StatCrew and Volleyball Ace have checks/balances systems built in to help cut down on manual errors. It is strongly recommended that the home team keep stats for both teams.
2. New Rules - Nobody had a problem with the new 25-point rule. The new double-hit rule was also discussed.
Next NAIA HCC conference call scheduled for October 1, 2008 at 1:30 p.m. ET.
Call adjourned at 2:23 p.m. (ET)