October 1, 2008
1:30 p.m. ET
I. ROLL CALL
Chair: Brenda Williams, Olivet Nazarene
Present on the call: Kim Norman (Frontier), Jim Smoot (Golden State Athletic), Chris Mahoney (Dakota Athletic), Mary Whitehead (Heart of America Athletic), Katy Meyer (Independent), Christy Clawson (Red River Athletic), Bob Heersema (Chicagoland Collegiate), Mike Gibson (Wolverine-Hoosier), Kevin Kitchen (American Mideast), Todd Humphry (TranSouth Athletic), Leo Sayles (Appalachian Athletic), Derek Schmitt (Southern States Athletic), Tim Edfors (The Sun), Kevin Hudson (Assistant Coaches), Kyle Van Den Bosch (Great Plains Athletic), John Yehling (American Midwest Conf.), Jon Campbell (Gulf Coast Athletic), Candace Moats (Mid-Central College), Reed Duffus (California Pacific), Jennifer Lawrence (Sooner Athletic), Craig Mosqueda (KIAC), Jeff Hulsemeyer (Mid-South), Nathalea Stephenson (Kansas Collegiate), Stew McDole, Israel Negron (Legislative Rep), Will Engle (AVCA liaison)
Absent on the call: Excused: Peggy Tuter (Midlands Collegiate Athletic), Josh Crosier (Men's Rep), Ryan DeLong (Midwest Collegiate Conf.), Ruth Stein (NAIA Staff)
II. AVCA Update
AVCA Staff: Will Engle
AVCA Convention registration is underway. The deadline for early registration is November 7. Also, the AVCA launched a new Web site in September, with an upgraded look and feel.
III. NAIA Update
Committee Chair: Brenda Williams
Brenda reminded the committee that the link for hosting the Opening Rounds of the NAIA National Volleyball Tournament can be found on the NAIA webpage. Also, don't forget to put in Scholar Athlete nominations; those forms can also be found in your coaches' manual on the NAIA Web site.
IV. SUBCOMMITTEE REPORTS
- Legislation - Israel Negron: NAIA is looking at the use of a Clearing House for eligibility needs. Discussions are on-going with the NCAA. Also, NCAA has changed the way they count matches against NAIA, and that may affect the way NAIA will schedule. Also, how to count weeks between regular season and post season was discussed.
- Webcasting - HCC thinks we need to go with quality of webcasting rather than quantity. Also, having someone with some kind of commentary on the match is important.
- Membership - Christy Clawson reported that membership is at about 70%, an increase from the beginning of the year and the end of last year. Continue contacting coaches in your conference to encourage membership.
- Recognition - Stew McDole reported that the AVCA/NAIA recognition was approved by the NAIA. Process of working with AVCA will probably look similar to what it has in the past. Stew is still in need of 23 conferences naming their recognition representative. There was also some discussion about criteria for National Player of the Week.
- Competition - Mike Gibson reported that he sent out a survey on best practices to the committee. Please fill it out and return as soon as possible.
- Independents - Katy Meyer reported that she is trying to stay current with results and weekly rankings.
V. OLD BUSINESS
Committee Chair: Brenda Williams
AVCA membership is always an order of business for all of us, as well as convention registrations (bring a friend). We also want to get our Assistant Coaches and Graduate Assistant Coaches involved in the AVCA - check out all educational opportunities on the new AVCA Web site.
Next NAIA HCC conference call scheduled for November 5, 2008 at 1:30 p.m. ET.
Call adjourned at 2:20 p.m. (ET)