2008 AVCA Board of Directors Election Results
LEXINGTON, Ky. - The American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) is pleased to announce the election of two member coaches to the AVCA Board of Directors. Ray Bechard, head coach at University of Kansas is the new AVCA President-Elect, and Becky Schmidt, head coach at Hope College, is the new NCAA Women's Division III Representative.
"When I saw this year's slate of candidates, I knew the AVCA was going to benefit from continued strong leadership," said Kathy DeBoer, AVCA executive director. "The number of you that participated in the election let me know you agreed. Congratulations to Ray Bechard and Becky Schmidt, we look forward to working with you. Also, a heartfelt thank you to Jon Wallace, Samantha Lambert and Don Flora for your willingness to serve."
Along with the two newly elected directors, Beth Launiere, head coach at University of Utah, will move to the AVCA President position. Mary Wise, head coach at University of Florida, will shift to AVCA Past President, while Bonnie Kenny, head coach at University of Delaware, will rotate off the board.
Both of the new board members are invited to attend the AVCA Board of Directors meetings at the 2008 AVCA Annual Convention in Omaha, Neb. All of the new positions will take effect January 1, 2009.
Ray Bechard, University of Kansas - President-Elect
Ray Bechard is in his 11th season as head coach at the University of Kansas. He is the Jayhawks' all-time winningest volleyball coach, and boasted a career record of 877-204 (.811) coming into 2008, which includes 13 years as head coach at Barton County Community College in Great Bend, Kan. Bechard served on the AVCA Board of Directors from 1992-98 during his tenure at Barton County CC.
"It's exciting to once again become involved with the AVCA and its Board of Directors," said Bechard. "The opportunity to work with the outstanding leadership of this organization at a time where our sport is experiencing so much growth is something I am really looking forward to."
Becky Schmidt, Hope College - NCAA Women's Division III Representative
Becky Schmidt is in her fifth season as head coach of her alma mater, Hope College. Schmidt already has amassed over 100 wins at Hope, including passing the 20-win mark for the third consecutive time in 2007. Schmidt was also a standout player for the Flying Dutch; the middle blocker was MVP of the MIAA during both her junior and senior seasons.
"I am very excited to serve the AVCA and its membership in this capacity," said Schmidt. "The coaches and student-athletes in Division III are committed, talented and creative, and care deeply about the future of this game. I look forward to working with them, as well as coaches at all levels, to provide the most profound athletic experience possible to our student-athletes, while also enhancing our own professional growth and development. This is an exciting time of growth in the AVCA, and I am eager to continue the work that Jeanne Hess has done to move Division III volleyball forward."
2009 AVCA Board of Directors
Elected Board Members:
- Beth Launiere, University of Utah - President
- Mary Wise, University of Florida - Past President
- Ray Bechard, University of Kansas - President-Elect
- Mark Rosen, University of Michigan - NCAA Women's Division I Representative
- Cody Hein, California State University, Chico - NCAA Women's Division II Representative
- Becky Schmidt, Hope College - NCAA Women's Division III Representative
- Trish Knight, Missouri State University-West Plains - Two-Year Colleges Representative
- Brenda Williams, Olivet Nazarene University - NAIA Representative
- John Speraw, University of California, Irvine - Men's Representative
- John Sample, Texas Advantage Volleyball Club - Grassroots (Club) Representative
- Jodi Manore, Bedford (Mich.) High School - Grassroots (High School) Representative
- Karen Weatherington, Butler University - Assistant Coach Representative
Appointed Board members:
- Cecile Reynaud - Education and Publications Representative
- T.J. Meagher - Legislative Representative
- Deitre Collins-Parker, Cornell University - At-Large Minority Coach Representative
- Sandy Vong - At-Large Representative
- Awards Representative - Appointed by AVCA President