ACC Coaches Committee Call Minutes
February 11, 2009 12 pm (EST)
The meeting was called to order at 12:00 p.m. (EST) by Karen Weatherington.
1. Updates from the Head Coach Committee Call
- Addition of Sand Volleyball- there was discussion about the possible addition of the sport and ideas for the future. Also discussed was the impact on universities as well as professional careers of coaches. In DII, the vote was passed, however in DI, the initial vote did not pass at this time. Another vote will take place in the coming months.
- The committee discussed finding ways to help new coaches attend the AVCA coaches convention and possible scholarships to attend.
2. Assistant Coach Survey-
- Sarah Bernson has been working to collect the surveys and interpret the results. The committee discussed which areas were most valued by coaches and that should be included in the release. Karen mentioned that many requests for survey information have included salary, compensation and benefits.
- Any assistants who did not fill out the survery are urged to do so at this time to make sure the results are accurate. New surveys can be sent to:
3. Recruiting Task Force
- The Recruiting Task Force is putting together topics for an AVCA Compliance E-mail. Any topics involving recruiting that coaches of all levels might be unclear about or topics that need to be clearly defined for people. The goal of the e-mails is to not only help college coaches, but to also help club and high school coaches have more understanding of NCAA recruiting rules.
- Any topic suggestions can be sent to Kalani Mahi at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jill Wilson at email@example.com.
4. Assistant Coach Award
- The Assistant Coach award committee discussed trying to add awards for assistant coaches.
- The committee researched different NCAA sports that currently have such awards including the nomination process, criteria for the award, voting committee, and presentation.
- The information will be reviewed and the committee is going to come up with suggestions that will work in volleyball as well as a possible nomination process for the next meeting.
5. New Business
- Michelle Chatman, Assistant Coach at Central Florida will be serving as the new Associate Chair for the Committee.
- New members to the committee- Ryan Manning from Western Michigan (Mid American) and Hal Clifton from Elon (Southern)
- New members of the ACC: Please send the minutes to all of the assistant coaches in your conference.
- The next Assistant Coach Committee call will be March 11, 2009 @ NOON EST.
•6. Updates from the AVCA
- New Host Sites for the AVCA Convention have been announced on the AVCA website
2010- Kansas City, Missouri
2012- Louisville, KY
- The AVCA is hosting an AVCA Spring Conference on May 7-9th called 21st Century Coaching Skills. It will be held during the Men's Final Four in Provo, UT. Speakers will include Carl McGown,Terry Pettit, Mary Wise, and Beth Launiere.
- The JVDA Championships for juniors will be held in Louisville, KY June 27-30, 2009.
- The AVCA is starting a new Camp Affiliation membership. Collegiate camps can build in an AVCA membership into their camp for club or high school coaches working the camps. The membership fee will be $50, which is a $15 discount. Any collegiate coaches interested in adding the membership option to their camps, can contact the AVCA.
*7. Roll Call
Not represented on the call:
Atlantic 10, Patriot, Ohio Valley