NECVA To Honor Memory of David Hildebrandt With Rising Star Award
JERSEY CITY, N.J. - The North East Collegiate Volleyball Association has announced the establishment of the David Hildebrandt Rising Star Award. The inaugural 2009 award was selected by the NECVA Executive Board and will be presented at the conference banquet on Saturday, April 4 at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, MA.
The award, established in March 2009, is named in honor of former Newbury College head coach David Hildebrandt, the 2008 NECVA New England Division Coach of the Year, who passed away on August 3, 2008 in a tragic drowning accident at the age of 29. He had been hired as the new head men's and women's volleyball coach at Elms College on May 9, 2008 after eight years at Newbury.
In 2008 at Newbury, Hildebrandt led the Nighthawks to a 10-1 divisional record and the New England title for the first time ever. Newbury, the No. 6 seed in the NECVA Tournament, advanced to the championship final for the first time under his leadership. He was one of four finalists for the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Division III Men's Coach of the Year award after leading the Nighthawks to a program-record 33 wins.
The award will be presented to a head or assistant coach, who best exemplifies the attributes for which Coach Hildebrandt were known. The criteria are:
* Has elevated a program during their tenure at their institution or has shown marked improvement;
* Has shown an ability to recruit and build a program with a loyal player base;
* Demonstrated knowledge of the sport;
* Has displayed an excellent working relationship with players, administrators and NECVA officials;
* Is respected by fellow coaches;
* Has worked to promote and better the sport at the Division III level while helping to generate new programs;
* Must have coached for 10 or fewer seasons in collegiate volleyball;
* A coach can only win the award once;
* The award will not be given annually if qualified candidates are not identified.
Article courtesy of NECVA media relations.