April 15, 2009

4/15/2009

< back

 

Division II Head Coaches Committee Conference Call Minutes

April 15, 2009 * 1 p.m. CT *

 

Roll Call:

Cody Hein, Chico State

Deanne Scanlon, Grand Valley State

Karla Decker, Lander

Shannon Mincey, Carson-Newman

Bren Stevens, Charleston

Ibraheem Suberu, Pittsburg State

Tom Justice, Lock Haven

Stephanie Radecki, North Alabama

Megan Hrbek, Caldwell

Tracy Rietzke, Rockhurst University

Sean Donahue, St. Edwards

Bo Pagliasotti, Southwestern Oklahoma

Patricia Mickow, St. Cloud State

Karen McNulty, UMass-Lowell

Debbie Hendricks, Metropolitan State

Lynze Roos, Lynn

Selina Bynum-Kohn, Paine

 

 

Absent

Jared Sliger, Northwest Nazarene

Tim Loesch, Limestone

Kris Naber, Grand Canyon

Alex Koszalka, Dowling

 

 

 

Meeting Called to Order: 1 p.m. CT

 

Topics

I. Welcome.  (Cody)

Cody began the call by welcoming everyone and thanked the HCC for taking the time out of their busy schedules to participate in the call. He then gave his report.

 

II. AVCA Update (Leah)

Leah gave a brief update on things going on at the AVCA. This included:

 

1.)           There is still an opportunity to register for the 2009 AVCA Spring Conference: 21st Century Coaching Skills!!

 Dates: May 7-9, 2009
 Site: Provo, Utah

21st Century Coaching Skills will help make you into the well-rounded coach that is necessary to survive in today's competitive coaching environment, including  

  Headline Presenters: Carl McGown, Terry Pettit, Mary Wise & Beth Launiere

2.)              The AVCA is forming a new Student Membership for college students who are interested in pursuing a career as a volleyball coach. The price of this membership will be $40. If you know of any prospective student athletes or are interested in more information, please contact Ashley Beil or Amanda Brungs.
3.)              Make your plans now for the JVDA 2009 National Championships, which will be held at the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville, Ky. on June 27-30.

4.)              The AVCA has joined the social networking scene with recently launched pages on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/) and Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/). Join the AVCA community on each of these platforms to receive the latest updates of everything AVCA!
5.)              Selected sessions from both the '07 and '08 AVCA Annual Conventions are now available for purchase on DVD. Visit the AVCA Product Store (http://www.avca.org/publication-shopping/) to reserve your copies today!

 

III. Chair Reports

  • 1.) Cody briefly discussed the March Board Report with the committee. The AVCA, due to the impact of the recession, continues to experience some difficulties with sponsorship and sales opportunities. The Board of Directors will further discuss this issue, along with additional items at the May Board of Directors meeting held at the AVCA Spring Conference in Provo, Utah.
  • 2.) Championships Info: AVCA Executive Director, Kathy DeBoer, sent a memo to Sharon Cessna at the NCAA which highlighted the Division II HCC's feedback regarding the Division II Championships. Some notes about this subject:
  • The Championship Festival will not affect the playing season like it did 4 years ago.
  • They are not in favor of decreasing practice and competition opportunities
  • Also, it looks as if there could be a ban on spring competition at the Division I level to reduce costs; be prepared for the trickle-down effect.
  • Bren Stevens is on the NCAA Division II Management Council. She has an approaching meeting with this committee and could like feedback to take with her to the meeting. HCC members are encouraged to contact Bren with their feedback.
  • It was cautioned that once the NCAA makes changes and takes something away, getting it back is very difficult. Please be cautions in your suggestions, making sure they are well thought out.
  • 3.) Sand Volleyball Legislative Info: Sand volleyball is expected to pass in Division I, with the vote taking place on April 21-22 and the NCAA Board of Directors vote on April 30. On the Division II front, legislation is continuing through the process, and Cody mentioned that there has been "positive talk" on having a hierarchy in sand scholarships, which was a major concern for the HCC in previous months.

 

IV. Additional Agenda Items

  • 1.) GLIAC Sponsored Rules Change: Deanne Scanlon addressed the HCC about the rules change proposal that the GLIAC plans to sponsor. The conference is seeking to increase the number of subs allotted in a set (currently the limit is 12). The GLIAC would love some feedback from DII coaches about this subject. Wick Colchagoff at Findlay has developed a survey about the rules proposal, which is an electronic document and very brief. This would allow the conference to provide real numbers and data to the NCAA when the proposal is submitted. Please contact Deanne with your feedback.
  • 2.) Reimbursement of college coaches coaching at club tournaments: Recent events have led to the revaluation of recruiting rules involving collegiate coaches who are club coaches. If you are a college coach who coaches club...you CAN be reimbursed for coaching at club tournaments IF the specific team you coach is NOT at the tournament. Cody will work on securing a clearer, more specific clarification of this rule and report back to the HCC on the next call.

 

 

Cody wrapped up the meeting by again thanking the HCC members for taking the time to be on the call.

 

Meeting adjourned: 1:35 p.m.

VII. Next Meeting

The next meeting will be May 13, 2009 at 1 p.m. Central Time.

 

< back