Collegiate Volleyball Update Announces Freshman of the Year and Rising Stars
The Collegiate Volleyball Update (CVU) is pleased to announce its selection of Army's Ariana Mankus as the 2009 CVU.com Freshman of the Year.
A 5-8 outside hitter from Lisle, Ill., Mankus started in 31 matches for the Black Knights, playing the most sets of any player and helping lead the team to one of its best seasons ever. For the first time in school history, Army earned an NCAA tournament bid, breaking American's eight-year run as Patriot League champion and finishing with a 26-6 record.
A five-time Patriot League Rookie of the Week, Mankus also won two Player of the Week honors. Those were just a lead-up to the yearly awards, though, as the young outside was named both Patriot League Freshman and Player of the Year. She was the first player in league history to earn both honors in the same season.
In addition to leading Army, Mankus was at the top of the Patriot League with 3.64 kills per set, recording 20 matches with double-digit kills, including a career best 26 against American. She tallied 14 double-doubles while averaging 2.86 digs per set on the season. For the year, Mankus hit .294.
CVU has also chosen 18 other freshmen as its Rising Stars. Not only did they excel this season, but expect them to do great things in the future.
Freshman of the Year
Ariana Mankus, OH, Army
- Carolina Adams, MB, Furman
- Jessica Adams, L, Tulsa
- Sandra Adeleye, MH, Clemson
- Lola Arslanbekova, OH, Louisville
- Jovana Bjelica, OH, FIU
- Alaina Bergsma, OH, Loyola Marymount
- Lauren Cook, S, UCLA
- Tyler Henderson, OH, Tulsa
- Brittany Hewitt, MB, Hawaii
- Marissa Hughes, S, Northern Colorado
- Monique Mead, RS, Georgia Tech
- Kayla Neto, MB, Cal State Fullerton
- Jasmine Norton, OH, Arkansas
- Megan Plourde, OH, Colorado State
- Jodi Purdy, OH, Wyoming
- Paula Passmore, L, Chattanooga
- Taylor Root, L, Valparaiso
- Hannah Werth, OH, Nebraska
The Rising Stars are not listed in a specific order.
Rankings used are based on players who played in 50% or more of their team's overall games. Selections made based up individual performance, contributions to the team and players who look to have the potential make a future impact.