February 24, 2010
Division II Head Coaches Committee Conference Call Minutes
February 24, 2010 * 2 p.m. EST*
Cody Hein, Chico State
Bren Stevens, Charleston
Phil Shoemaker, Alaska-Fairbanks
Wendy McManus sitting in for Sean Donahue, St. Edward's
Carlos Chia, Northern Kentucky
Karla Decker, Lander
Lynze Roos, Lynn
Stephanie sitting in for Megan Hrbek, Caldwell
Karen McNulty, UMass-Lowell
Deanne Scanlon, Grand Valley State
Ashley Buckley, Augustana
Kris Naber, Grand Canyon
Bo Pagliasotti, Southwestern Oklahoma
Randi Smart, Cal State L.A.
Alex Koszalka, Dowling
Ibraheem Suberu, Pittsburg State
Debbie Hendricks, Metropolitan State
Michael Robinson, Tusculum
Selina Bynum-Kohn, Paine
Stephanie Radecki, North Alabama
Heather Vahjen, Erskine
Tom Justice, Lock Haven
Meeting Called to Order: 2 p.m. EST
I. Welcome (Cody)
Cody began the call by welcoming everyone back from the summer recess and thanked the HCC for taking the time out of their busy schedules to participate in the call. He then gave his report.
II. AVCA Update (Leah)
Leah gave a brief update on things going on at the AVCA. This included:
* Pre-registration for coaches to attend the New Orleans Spring Talent Showcase is now open. Visit the AVCA Web site, Events tab - Talent Showcase, to register for free and receive ALL information on the participants prior to the start of the event. The showcase is slated for April 1, 2010 and will be open to graduates in the classes of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and also Junior College athletes.
* The AVCA Spring Conference, now in its third year, is scheduled for May 6-8 on the campus of Stanford University in Palo Alto, Calif., and is held in conjunction with the 2010 NCAA Men's Volleyball Championship. John Dunning, the decorated women's head volleyball coach at Stanford, headlines the impressive list of presenters, along with U.S. Men's National Team head coach Alan Knipe, and Sue Woodstra, whose Olympic medalist performances span three decades.
Early-Bird Rate (Feb. 8 - April 2): $225 (member & non-member)
Standard Rate (April 2 - May 8): $275 (member & non-member)
* If you are interested in being a speaker at the 2010 AVCA Convention in Kansas City, information is now available on the AVCA Web site, including speaker requirements and a proposal form that should be submitted with presentation suggestions. Please submit the speaker application form and other requested materials to AVCA headquarters by April 9, 2010. Members of the AVCA Education and Publications Committee will review all applications and convention speakers will be selected and notified no later than July 15, 2010.
*In an effort to engage collegiate assistants and grow AVCA membership within this group, the AVCA is offering a limited-time 2-for-1 collegiate assistant coach membership offer! This membership campaign isdesigned to provide volleyball programs with an affordable option to allow more of your coaches to receive the benefits of an AVCA membership at a lower cost to your institution.
How Does It Work? Renew or sign up one of your assistant coaches for AVCA membership between now and July 1, 2010 and you will receive a complimentary one-year AVCA membership for one additional assistant on your coaching staff!
Why Should You Take Advantage Now? On July 1, 2010 AVCA membership dues will increase. Renew or sign up your assistants for AVCA membership NOW and not only receive the lower membership rate, but also take advantage of receiving a second membership for FREE!
In order to redeem this offer, please fill out the membership form and return to the AVCA Office forprocessing. For every one assistant who joins or renews their membership between now and July 1, 2010, you will receive one complimentary AVCA membership for another assistant on your coaching staff.
This offer is not available through the AVCA Web site.
*Please Note - At the end of each assistant's one-year AVCA membership both coaches will receive an invoice for renewal.
*Restrictions - In order for this offer to be used toward renewing or signing up graduate
assistants, the graduate assistant must be the complimentary membership, or both coaches must be graduate assistants.
* The first issue of the AVCA's new Phenom magazine is in the works. The magazine, geared towards the high school and club markets, will be released twice a year, with the first issue ready in early April and the second issue planned for the early fall. The magazine will be available in a digital format online, as well as in limited print quantites which will be distributed at JVA events this spring.
* The NCAA PROP has released their approved volleyball rules changes for the 2010-2011 season. The complete document will be sent to all HCC members with this month's minutes.
* AVCA Assistant Executive Director Ross Brown has accepted a new position in Memphis, TN. His last day at the AVCA was Monday, March 22. The AVCA is currently conducting a search for a replacement in this position.
III. Chair Reports (Cody)
"Life in the Balance Issues" and Survey:
Cody informed the HCC that AVCA Executive Director Kathy DeBoer will be putting together a position paper to put before the NCAA that will speak to the results of the Life in the Balance issues survey that was put together by the HCC sub-committee. Cody also advised the committee members to be sure to look over the survey and make any suggestions, etc., as soon as possible.
- Phil: It may be back tracking, but he recalled that the NCAA minimum number of contests is 18. As of right now, his program has 18 league matches and only one weekend of preseason competition. Feeling limited in options. Anything the HCC can do?
- Carlos: Suggested adding a survey question dealing with region/geography.
- Cody: This is a Phase I issue, so he's not sure how much could be changed. He urged coaches to document issues that happen in the coming season due to Phase I, in hopes of possibly seeing future changes.
- Bren: Is there any way we can extend the season by one week? This was never discussed in the Management Council meetings. We could move everything back one week like football.
- Cody: Will add a question to the survey asking if coaches would be in support of extendingi the season a week on the back end.
- Alex: By adding on the back end, it would also cut down on preseason costs.
- Lynze: Not sure if the NCAA will back down from what was already decided for Phase I beginning in 2010-11.
- Cody: Agrees with Lynze, but still thinks it's important to collect information for future phases.
- Bren: Thought the HCC sub-committee did a great job putting the survey together.
- Cody: Would like to get the survey out to DII constituents by Monday, March 1.
- Carlos: Suggested adding a question asking if coaches would be willing to give up exemption/discretionary days.
- Bren: Presidents Council would be willing to look at some things for the spring season. She thinks it's important to stay positive and make sure we are asking the right questions on the survey.
- Cody: Please make sure your conference coaches receive the survey!
IV. Next Meeting
The next HCC call will be Wednesday, March 24 at 2 p.m. EST.