August 11, 2010
Division II Head Coaches Committee Conference Call Minutes
August 11, 2010 * 2:00 p.m. EST*
Cody Hein, Chico State
Bren Stevens, Charleston
Phil Shoemaker, Alaska-Fairbanks
Deanne Scanlon, Grand Valley State
Sean Donahue, St. Edward's
Randi Smart, Cal State L.A.
Megan Hrbek, Caldwell
Linda Bell, Elizabeth City State
Carlos Chia, Northern Kentucky
Stephanie Radecki, North Alabama
Bo Pagliasotti, Southwestern Oklahoma
Jessica Rinehart, Northwest Missouri State
Ashley Buckley, Augustana
Kris Naber, Grand Canyon
Katie O'Brien, Montevallo
Zach Shaver, Indiana University (Pa.)
Jamie Skadeland, Colorado School of Mines
Lynze Roos, Lynn
Alex Koszalka, Dowling
Selina Bynum-Kohn, Paine
Heather Vahjen, Erskine
Stephanie Dragan, Franklin Pierce
Michael Robinson, Tusculum
Meeting Called to Order: 2:01 p.m. EST
I. Welcome (Cody)
Cody began the call by welcoming everyone back from the summer and thanking the HCC for taking the time out of their busy schedules to participate in the call. He then gave his report. He also recognized the new members of the committee.
II. AVCA Update (Leah)
Leah gave a brief update on things going on at the AVCA. This included:
* August is AVCA Member Appreciation Month. Last week, the AVCA offered a social media contest to all members. If you haven't already become a part of the AVCA's online social community, check out the AVCA's Facebook, Twitter, Linked In and Youtube accounts.
* For week #2 of AVCA Member Appreciation Month, the organization is offering several AVCA Product Store specials. The AVCA's Product Store offers a wide variety of merchandise and publications. Your AVCA membership grants you access to all products at a discounted rate!
* As a part of Member Appreciation Month, the AVCA has a limited time special to the first 15 AVCA members who purchase the following Product Store top-sellers bundle package for only $65!
That's more than 20% off regular pricing!
- Talent and the Secret Life of Teams - Terry Pettit
- 2009 AVCA Convention DVD: Setting for Team Success - Christy Johnson-Lynch
- 2008 Convention DVD: Drills & Mechanics for Attacking - Lee Maes
There's still more! AVCA members also receive FREE SHIPPING on all 2009 AVCA Convention DVDs!
This offer will only be available August 9 - August 15 so take advantage of this special pricing while you can.
All coaches who join or renew their AVCA membership during the month of August will receive a gift from the AVCA and all AVCA members will be placed into a drawing at the end of the month to receive a FREE 2010 AVCA Annual Convention registration to join us in Kansas City, Missouri AND complimentary hotel accommodations during the week (an $800 Value!)
- DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT THE AVCA'S NEWEST MEMBER BENEFIT!
The AVCA is excited to announce its newest member benefit, Rotate 123 rotation software. This online product is available FREE to all active AVCA members beginning this month. Whether you're a veteran coach or new to the game, Rotate 123 can save you hours preparing your team's lineup and formations. This tool is designed to help beginner and/or busy coaches do more tactical coaching. We encourage you to check out the Rotate 123 demo and get started today!
- The AVCA Mentorship program has matched 60 pairs in its inaugural efforts. If you are interested in becoming a mentor, please contact Kali Andress as soon as possible.
- Voting opens this afternoon for the AVCA Division II Preseason Poll. The poll will be issued on Wednesday, August 18 at approximately 4:30 pm EST. There are still a handful of voter spots, mostly as alternates, available in all regions. If you are interested in the opportunity or would like to recommend someone, please let Leah Brock know as soon as possible.
- Online registration for the 2010 AVCA Convention in Kansas City, Mo. is scheduled to open Wednesday, August 18. The 2010 Convention will be from 15-19 at the Kansas City Convention Center. Check the AVCA web site next week for more details on hotels, accommodations, pricing and educational and social opportunities.
- If you are webcasting any matches this season, please send a composite list of the matches to Leah Brock.
* The AVCA will be presenting AVCA Educational Timeouts: Fall Webinar Series. Be sure to separately register and pay for each webinar you wish to attend. Member pricing is $9.99 for each webinar and $19.99 for non-members. Contact Kali Andress at firstname.lastname@example.org or 859-425-5075 with any questions. Instructions to participate in the webinars can be found below the webinar schedule on the AVCA Web Site. The following is a schedule of offered fall webinars:
- 1. Tuesday, August 17 - 2:00 EST Becky Schmidt - Packing the Gym for a Big Event
- 2. Tuesday, August 31 - Russ Rose 12:00PM EST - Bench Stats: What to Keep and How to Use it to Make Adjustments
- 3. Wednesday, September 8 - 12:00 EST Shelton Collier - Using Time Outs Effectively
- 4. Tuesday, September 14 - 12:00 EST Tom Black - Serving: What you Need to Know and be Able to do to Gain an Edge
- 5. Tuesday, September 29 - 2:00 EST -Bonnie Kenny - How to use last night's stats to plan today's practice
III. Chair Reports (Cody)
There are rumors coming out of Management Council that would give Division II coaches 2 hours of team play in the 8 allowed hours allowed during the non-championship season.
Cody then posed the question: What are everyone's main concerns about preseason hour limitations? Here are the responses:
- We started our preseason today, since school starts Monday. Our biggest concern is trying to have team meetings and also time for weight lifting. We are using more of our 20 hours and have re-worked our schedule a little bit. Their load once classes start will be greater than ever before because of the preseason limitations.
- Thinks that it might give us an opportunity for wiggle-room.
- I don't have a problem with a three-hour break.
- We can't really even have team meetings to go over policies and educational time. I don't see how the NCAA can turn their noses up at that.
- We have facilities issues with preseason. Our institution uses the gym for registration, and now with mandatory three-hour break, it's absolutely changing everything we have to do. We are now having days from early in the morning to late in the evening.
- We are having trouble with getting in physical testing from off-season weight training and physical training programs.
- The kids don't necessarily do a good job of staying conditioned over the summer. I am concerned with overuse injuries. If you get going too hard too fast, it could cause some injuries.
Cody realizes what the coaches are up against, but just wanted to collect some general ideas on what their thoughts were.
Cody then asked the committee if they had anything else to mention on the call:
Deanne: We had questions on how to count preseason scrimmages. We got a clarification from the NCAA on how to count hours if you have scrimmages prior to your first day of classes. You don't have to stick to 3 hours limitations. Exempted scrimmages count as 4 hours, but you only count the time you are actually playing. Because it is a competition, you can't come back to campus to practice later that day.
Deanne: What is the status on the proposal for the extra week of competition at the end of the season? GLIAC submitted a proposal, but was told proposals couldn't be written but the issue had to go through the Championships Committee. We are waiting to hear clarification or a status on where this stands.
Bo: Jason at West Texas A&M and I found out the same thing that Bren did and the GLIAC.
IV. Next Meeting
The next HCC call will be September 15 at 2 p.m. EST.