May 12, 2010
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
12:00 p.m. EDT
Committee Chair: Katy Meyer
II. ROLL CALL
Chair: Katy Meyer, Embry-Riddle
Present on the call: Reed Duffus (Cal Pac), Nathalea Stephenson, (Kansas), Katy Meyer (Independents), Rochelle Short (Golden State), Christy Claswon (Red River), Anna Monsen-Howle (Sooner), Mike Gibson (Competition Committee), Will Engle (AVCA), Kathy DeBoer (AVCA).
Absent on the call: Kim Norman, Mary Whitehead, Kirsta Solberg, Christy Mooberry, Matt Buttermore, John Yehling, Stew McDole, Mark Perisi, Tori Bartels, Rick Pruett, Jon Campbell, Trish Siedlik, Ruth Stein, Jhett Albers, Jill Rokosik, Todd Humphry, Melissa Batie, Ryan DeLong, Candace Moats, Kristy Kamer.
III. AVCA UPDATE
AVCA Staff: Will Engle
- AVCA had a very successful Spring Conference as 200 people attended this year's event, up from 125 last year, and 30 in the first year.
- Reminder that the membership dues increase will take effect July 1, 2010; you can renew or join any time up until then at the new rate.
IV. COMMITTEE UPDATES
Membership: Katy Meyer
Katy received update at Spring board meeting with a general membership report. 179 current head coach members in the AVCA. Assistant coaches are at 75. Kathy DeBoer chipped in to say that membership is vital to the association, and staff is constantly focused on serving current members and ways to invite new people to become members. If we don't do that well, AVCA will lost its value. AVCA cuts across all divisions and all types of volleyball (court, sand, etc.), and that is a key reason to join AVCA. People may initially join for access to awards, but we hope the retention will be because it's important to be part of the larger community.
Competition: Mike Gibson
Been very quiet last few months; right format for nationals put together and will be putting together suggestions on best practices.
Sand Volleyball: Christy Clawson
Christy : Most of the people she's talked to have interest, but as a sport supported by the university, funding is an issue. Kathy added that Weber International participated and played well in the CBS College Sports Network Collegiate Beach tournament, and that will include some television exposure; check the AVCA website for updates on television times.
Kathy: Definition of emerging sport is something that is not supported or funded by an institution. Growth will be based on interest; court volleyball is a mature sport, so there's a difference between a mature sport and emerging sport, so we need to take a "new-sport hat" when talking about sand volleyball. Find out how we do this with limited funds. Good news is the interest among the players is very high in exploring this; players will drive the success.
Rochelle: Schools have budget concerns, but sand volleyball is huge, and there is a sense that we may lose good athletes if we do not provide some type of sand option.
Katy: AVCA website: www.avca.org/divisions/sand
V. OTHER CONSTITUENTS
Men: Katy Meyer
A lot of discussion at spring event regarding men's volleyball. A lot of passion about the game, and good discussion about where the game is headed. Men want to see growth too. John Speraw, AVCA Board of Directors men's rep, is doing a study regarding correlation of success at schools with both men's and women's program.
VI. OLD BUSINESS
Committee Chiar: Katy Meyer
- Tachikara Gold Club - Don't miss out on your NAIA member benefits. $250 Travel Expense Reimbursement - Sensi-Tec® SALE - $100 for Action Photos. Coaches should have received an email within the last week from Tachikara.
- AVCA-NAIA membership dues increase will commence on July 1st, 2010.
- NAIA Champions of Character on-line coaches training.
VII. NEW BUSINESS
Committee Chair: Katy Meyer
A. 2010 AVCA Spring Conference held May 6th - 8th, 2010 in Palo Alto at Stanford. Additional updates from board meetings.
1. Association Strategic Planning: Katy gave the committee an update on strategic planning the AVCA Board participated in last week during its spring board meeting. Based on the board's feedback, staff is working on refining the AVCA mission statement and core values; revolves around the advancement of the sport of volleyball.
Kathy: now that we've been introduced to strategic planning, it will be a part of all board meetings going forward.
2. Recruiting Panel - thanks to Stew, Brenda, and Rochelle for providing feedback on the panel questions.
B. Coaching support - Rotate 1-2-3 at www.rotate123.com for more information or a trial opportunity contact Kyle Mashima at email@example.com or 408.529.5191
C. Phenom - The Magazine for Volleyball Players is now available on the AVCA website at http://www.avca.org/phenom
D. DID YOU KNOW about The Net Live at thevolleyballnetwork.com/portal/the-net-live. Tune in to this page every Monday morning, 10am PDT to hear what's going on in your volleyball world.
Next call is scheduled for Wednesday, August 4, 2010 at 1 p.m. EDT.
Call adjourned 1:01 p.m. (EDT)