DIII Men's Volleyball Plan Under Way
By Gary Brown
The NCAA News
The Division III Championships Committee recently reviewed a proposed timeline for action leading to an inaugural Division III Men's Volleyball Championship in light of two conferences' intent to submit legislation for the division to create such an event in 2012.
The legislative proposal is likely to be considered at the 2011 NCAA Convention. If approved, the championship would be conducted in April 2012.
A committee would be established to administer the event by this coming fall. That panel would determine policies and procedures for playing and practice seasons and playing rules.
The proposed timeline for tournament administration is as follows:
- July 15, 2010: Member conferences submit formal proposal to establish new Division III Men's Volleyball Championship.
- October 2010: Management Council Playing and Practice Seasons Subcommittee recommends proposed playing season and contest limits.
- October 2010 - Nominations are solicited for the four-person NCAA Division III Men's Volleyball Committee.
- November 2010 - Bid process opens for the 2012 and 2013 championships.
- January 2011 - Management Council considers necessary changes to the playing and practice season model for the sport. Division III delegates vote on proposals to establish the four-person committee and conduct the first championship in 2012.
- March 2011 - New committee recommends sites for the 2012 and 2013 championships to the Division III Championships Committee.
- April 2011 - Committee conducts first in-person meeting at the Division III Molten Men's Volleyball Invitational. Sites for 2012 and 2013 are announced.
- May 2011 - Committee approves first set of automatic-qualifying conferences.
- June 2011 - Committee finalizes championship handbook, and operations and tournament manual.
- July 2011 - A championships site visit occurs.
- March 2012 - Ranking calls begin.
- April 2012 - Committee selects first tournament field.
- April 2012 - First championship is conducted.
- June 2012 - Committee conducts annual meeting.