May 19, 2010
Division II Head Coaches Committee Conference Call Minutes
May 19, 2010 * 2:00 p.m. EST*
Cody Hein, Chico State
Bren Stevens, Charleston
Phil Shoemaker, Alaska-Fairbanks
Deanne Scanlon, Grand Valley State
Sean Donahue, St. Edward's
Karla Decker, Lander
Lynze Roos, Lynn
Megan Hr1bek, Caldwell
Ashley Buckley, Augustana
Randi Smart, Cal State L.A.
Ibraheem Suberu, Pittsburg State
Michael Robinson, Tusculum
Stephanie Radecki, North Alabama
Heather Vahjen, Erskine
Alex Koszalka, Dowling
Karen McNulty, UMass-Lowell
Carlos Chia, Northern Kentucky
Bo Pagliasotti, Southwestern Oklahoma
Kris Naber, Grand Canyon
Debbie Hendricks, Metropolitan State
Tom Justice, Lock Haven
Selina Bynum-Kohn, Paine
Meeting Called to Order: 2:05 p.m. EST
I. Welcome (Cody)
Cody began the call by welcoming everyone and thanking the HCC for taking the time out of their busy schedules to participate in the call. He then gave his report.
II. AVCA Update (Leah)
Leah gave a brief update on things going on at the AVCA. This included:
*The AVCA Spring Conference was a huge success. In the three years of the event, attendance to the event has grown by nearly 600%. The inaugural event in 2008 drew 30 attendees, while last year's attendance was 125. The record 200 attendees at this year's event exceeds last year's mark by 60%.
* Team Academic Award nomination process begins June 1 and ends on June 30. An e-mail will be sent to all head coaches within the next two weeks that will provide details on how the nomination process will work. Information can also be found beginning June 1 in the "Awards" section on the AVCA Web site. Also, the nomination period for the AVCA Hall of Fame has expired.
* The AVCA is offering a 2 or 1 membership promotion for assistant coaches. College programs that have an assistant coach that renews a membership or signs-up for a new membership before July 1 can get a second assistant coach membership free. This offer is only available by submitting a paper membership sign-up form here.
* The 2010 AVCA Convention will be held Dec. 15 - 19 in Kansas City. Registration is scheduled to open August 18. Convention registration prices are the same as last year - $345 for a full registration package and $445 for the pre-convention seminar & full package. The weekend package went up slightly to $169. Hotel rates will be $124 + tax at the Marriott Downtown (headquarters), $114 + tax at the Crowne Plaza and $104 + tax at the Holiday Inn Aladdin. All three hotels are across the street from the Kansas City Convention Center and four blocks from the Sprint Center where the NCAA Championships will be played. The AVCA Convention Web site will be available August 18 and will provide the schedule of events, hotel reservation links, travel discounts and other details.
III. Chair Reports (Cody)
1. Various Issues...Proposed 2011 Legislation
a.) Preseason 6-hour time frame
Deanne: All GLIAC coaches were in favor of changing the 6-hour time limit, but thinks it would be good for another conference to propose the legislation.
Cody: Spoke with Debbie Hendricks (who could not be on call) and she voiced that her AD thought it would be tough to get the 6-hour rule changed.
Bren: If addressing the 6-hour time frame, thinks it would be wise to begin with the Competitive Safeguard Committee, instead of the Management Council propose a rule change.
The HCC would need to get the Competitive Safeguards Committee some information with rationale for them to consider making a change. The chair of the committee is Deb Runkel.
b.) Adding a week at the end of the season
Deanne: The GLIAC coaches voted unanimously to propose an extra week at the end of the season. This will now be voted on by the league's athletic directors.
Cody: We need to get a second conference to support the GLIAC's proposal to extend the season an extra week.
2. Responsibility to educate outside of the volleyball circle.
a.) Any opportunity we get to explain how we feel about our sport and how something may affect it is a positive opportunity. Please act on any chance you get to communicate with SAAC, your FAR, SWA or any administrator currently sitting on an NCAA committee about issues of Phase II, preseason hourly limitations, adding a week at the end of the season, etc.
3. Sand Volleyball
Cody will be sending out an informal survey of who may add a sand volleyball program next spring or within the next three years. Please pass this survey along to your conference coaches and have them respond. It is important to gauge how much interest is out there and how much time should be spent pursuing the sport.
4. Rotations/ Replacements
Thank you to the following reps for their time and dedication to the HCC over the past few years: Ibraheem Subaru, Karen McNulty, Karla Decker, Tom Justice and Debbie Hendricks.
Also, a welcome to the new committee members who will be replacing the aforementioned group. They are:
Zach Shaver, IUP, PSAC
Jamie Skadeland, Colorado School of Mines, RMAC
Linda Bell, Elizabeth City State, CIAA
Stephanie Dragan, Franklin Pierce, Northeast-10
Katie O'Brien, Montevallo, Peach Belt
IV. Next Meeting
The next HCC call will be Wednesday, August 11 at 2 p.m. EST.