September 8, 2010
12:00 p.m. EDT
Committee Chair: Katy Meyer
II. ROLL CALL
Chair: Katy Meyer, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (AZ)
Present on the call: Kim Norman, Frontier , Kirsta Solberg, Wolverine-Hoosier, John Yehling, American MW & Men, Reed Duffus, CalPac, Nathalea Stephenson, Kansas, Stew McDole, Recognition Comm., Trent Herman, Assoc. of Independents, Marissa Booker, Golden State, Christy Clawson, Red River, Mark Perisi, American ME, Tori Bartels, Southern States, Yolanda Brown, Gulf Coast, Anna Monsen-Howle, Sooner, Jennifer Weitzel, Dakota, Jill Rokosik, Chicagoland, Todd Humphry, TranSouth, Ryan DeLong, Midwest, Andrea Harshman, MidCentral, Jamie Adams, NAIA, Will Engle, AVCA, Katy Meyer, Chair.
Special Guest: Kathy DeBoer, Director of the AVCA
Absent from the call: Christy Mooberry, Appalachian , Matt Buttermore, Assistant Coaches, Mary Whitehead, Heart of America, Rick Pruett, Great Plaines, Melissa Batie, Sun, Kristy Kamer, MidSouth, Trish Siedlik, Midlands, TBA, Cascade, Mike Gibson, Competition Comm., TBA, Kentucky.
III. AVCA UPDATE
AVCA Staff: Will Engle
- 1. Convention Registration is now open! Convention Web site is now up, www.avca.org/kcconvention2010. Education schedule includes AVCA Hall of Fame members, defending national champions, and both National Team coaches.
- 2. Salary Survey will be going out soon. You must participate in order to receive the results. Look for the opportunity to participate in your email inbox within the next week.
- 3. AVCA Educational Timeouts: Fall Webinar Series is underway. Check out http://www.avca.org/ for more information.
- 4. Coaches 4 Coaches Scholarship Fund - donate to the scholarship fund for the next generation of coaches to be able to come to convention.
IV. NAIA Update
NAIA Headquarters: Jamie Adams
- 1. Sports motions have been emailed to all committee members.
- 2. First week of ratings just finished - things went pretty smoothly.
- 3. NAIA Eligibility Center is up and taking high school players' registrations now. Incoming freshmen this year are not affected, but the class of 2011 will be. http://www.playnaia.org/
V. COMMITTEE UPDATES
Membership: Christy Clawson
Christy is working on cross-referencing NAIA list with AVCA members with complete list of NAIA coaches.
Kathy: we are now at 80% membership with the NAIA; used to be at 60-65% just a few years ago.
Men: John Yehling
Lindenwood and Cal Baptist have applied for NCAA Division II. Trying to garner interest and answer questions for administrators whose schools might be interested in adding.
Recognition: Stew McDole
Qualification system is out now. Working with Jamie to restructure some of the legislation that failed and try to get it passed. Need a chair from each of the conferences for recognition.
VI. OLD BUSINESS
Committee Chiar: Katy Meyer
- 1. The AVCA is proud to present the AVCA Educational Timeouts: Fall Webinar Series. The newest form of online education has arrived! Details of the following webinars can be found on the AVCA website at http://www.avca.org/.
A. Becky Schmidt, Hope College: "Packing the Gym for a Big Event"
B. Russ Rose, Penn State: "Bench Stats: What to Keep and How to Use it to Make Adjustments"
C. Shelton Collier, Wingate: "Using Timeouts Effectively"
D. Tom Black, Loyola Marymount: "Serving: What You Need to Know and be Able to Gain an Edge"
E. Bonnie Kenny, Delaware: "How to Use Last Night's Stats to Plan Today's Practice"
VII. NEW BUSINESS
Committee Chair: Katy Meyer
- 1. AVCA Convention Time Block - Thursday, December 16, 2010. Topic ideas:
A. NAIA Eligibility Center (1 hour)
B. Stats; Ratings (1 hour)
- 2. NAIA Eligibility Center Web site (http://www.playnaia.org/)
Please click on the NAIA MEMBERS tab, choose QUICK TUTORIALS and watch the clips. www.playnaia.org/page/tutorial.php. You are encouraged to share this starting point with your colleagues.
- 3. Please click on the NAIA MEMBERS tab, choose ROLE OF COACHES and familiarize yourself with the bullet points. www.playnaia.org/page/coach.php. You are encouraged to share this starting point with your colleagues.
Next call is scheduled for Wednesday, October 6 at 1 p.m. EDT.
Call adjourned 12:54 p.m. (EDT)