October 6, 2010
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
1:00 p.m. EDT
Committee Chair: Katy Meyer
II. ROLL CALL
Chair: Katy Meyer, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (AZ)
Present on the call: Kim Norman (Frontier Conference), Marissa Booker (Golden State Athletic Conference), Christy Clawson (Red River Athletic Conference), Jill Rokosik (Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference), Kirsta Solberg (Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference), Christy Mooberry (Appalachian Athletic Conference), Melissa Batie (The Sun Conference), Katy Meyer (Chair, AVCA-NAIA Representative), Ryan DeLong (Midwest Collegiate Conference), Reed Duffus (California Pacific Conference), Kristy Kamer (Mid South Conference), Trent Herman (Association of Independent Institutions), Stew McDole (Recognition Committee), Leah Brock (AVCA Representative), Will Engle (Outgoing AVCA Representative).
Absent from the call: Kathy Allen (Heart of America Athletic Conference), Matt Buttermore (Assistant Coach Representative), John Yehling (American Midwest Conference, Men's Representative - 2009), Nathalea Stephenson (Kansas Collegiate Conference), Mark Perisi (American Mideast Conference), Tori Bartels (Southern States Athletic Conference), Rick Pruett (Great Plaines Athletic Conference), Yolanda Brown (Gulf Coast Athletic Conference), Anna Monsen Howle (Sooner Athletic Conference), Trish Siedlik (Midlands Collegiate Athletic Conference), Jennifer Weitzel (Dakota Athletic Conference), Todd Humphry (TranSouth Athletic Conference), Andria Harshman (Mid-Central College Conference), TBA (Cascade Collegiate Conference), TBA (Kentucky Intercollegiate Conference), Mike Gibson (Competition Committee), Jamie Adams (NAIA - Volleyball Administrator)
III. AVCA UPDATE
AVCA Staff: Leah Brock
- Online registration for the 2010 AVCA Convention in Kansas City, Mo. is open. The early-bird deadline to register for the convention is November 5. For information on pricing, accommodations, social opportunities and education, visit the AVCA Convention web site. If you are looking to cut costs, be sure to check out the travel discounts that are available to you. There is also a place on the Convention web site to search for a roommate, should you wish to do so. The 2010 Convention will be from 15-19 at the Kansas City Convention Center.
- The AVCA will be continuing its AVCA Educational Timeouts webinar series with strength coach Stephanie Tracey-Simmons on tap for the October 12 webinar "Mid-Season Conditioning: The Quest to Keep Both Starters and Substitutes in Shape." Colorado State head coach Tom Hilbert's webinar, "Playing Your Best at the End of the Season," will be on October 26.
Member pricing is $9.99 for each webinar and $19.99 for non-members. Contact Kali Andress at firstname.lastname@example.org or 859-425-5075 with any questions. Instructions to participate in the webinars can be found below the webinar schedule on the AVCA Web Site.
- October 15th is the deadline to join or renew your membership in order for your team to be eligible for postseason awards. If you have a question on your membership, please contact AVCA Member Services.
- The AVCA Facebook page is now over 5,000 fans and growing rapidly. If you are not following the AVCA on its social media outlets - Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Blogger - we encourage you to do so. We have four regular blog columnists, former Penn State SID Jen Armson-Dyer, Terry Pettit, Phil Bush and Kathy DeBoer - and are posting new entries three times a week!
- The Sportwide/AVCA Video Tip of the Week is new for 2010, and is an educational benefit for volleyball coaches. Created by the AVCA Assistant Coaches Committee, each video will be 90-seconds-to-two-minutes, featuring coaches giving solutions to a specific problem. A new Sportwide/AVCA Video Tip of the Week will be posted each week through November on the AVCA Web site home page, Facebook, Twitter, as well as its YouTube Channel.
- Be sure and take a few minutes and donate to the Coaches 4 Coaches Scholarship Fund! You can easily access the donation page by visiting the Student Membership Headquarters (AVCA Website - Membership - Student Membership) and click on the purple donate button and choose the amount you want to donate. You can change the quantity on the amount you select to donate more! We need your help raising funds for this up-and-coming program which strives to advance and educate the future of our sport. Eight applicants will be selected to attend the Convention in Kansas City as 2010 Coaches 4 Coaches Scholarship recipients and we are counting on you to help provide them an unprecedented experience! If you have any questions about the Coaches 4 Coaches Scholarship Fund, please contact Amanda Brungs at email@example.com.
- The Volleyball Market/AVCA Play of the Week is back again in 2010. If your team makes an outstanding play during a match that is caught on video tape, be sure to submit it to the AVCA for consideration! Each week's winners will go head-to-head at the end of the season to decide the Volleyball Market/AVCA Play of the Year, which will be announced at the AVCA Convention. Nomination information is available on the AVCA web site.
IV. NAIA UPDATE
A. NAIA - Volleyball National Championship Opening Round Bid Deadline - November 1 (reference Jamie's 10/5/2010 email). There are five-bullet points to the e-mail.
1. Final rating used for at-large berths
2. Location of opening rounds
3. Opening Round Celebration learn more about hosting a volleyball national championship opening round by clicking on this link (http://naia.cstv.com/member-services/championships/hostinfo/HostVolleyballOR.htm).
B. General Updates
V. Committee Updates:
A. Recognition Committee - Stew McDole
1. Stew reported that he is a little behind in the reviewing process. If your conference has a change, please get the information to Stew. It would be a big help.
B. Competition Committee - Mike Gibson
C. Membership Committee - Christy Clawson http://www.avca.org/membership/
1. Christy is still in the process of cross-referencing everyone. There are a lot of holes; not everyone is showing up in the AVCA directory. She hopes to have the project completed within the next few weeks.
D. Sand Volleyball Committee - Christy Clawson
VI. Other Constituency Updates:
A. Men's Programs - John Yehling (not present on call)
B. Assistant Coaches - Matt Buttermore (not present on call)
C. Conferences - Any Committee Members (none)
VII. Old Business - Katy Meyer
A. Leah previously covered the webinar information, but here is a reminder: The AVCA Educational Timeouts: Fall Webinar Series. Details of the following webinar can be found at http://www.avca.org/.
1. Stephanie Tracey-Simmons: "Mid-season Conditioning: The Quest to Keep Both Starters and Substitutes in Shape" Tuesday, October 12th at 12:00 PM EDT. Hear from former Ohio University volleyball player turned strength coach, on how to balance the needs of those hitting forty balls a match with those hitting only in warm-up. Keeping starters rested and fresh, while keeping substitutes in shape and ready to contribute is a challenge faced by every team.
B. AVCA Convention Time Block - Thursday, December 16th, 2010. Update on speaker from NAIA Eligibility Center
C. NAIA Eligibility Center Web-Site (www.playnaia.org)
1. Please click on the NAIA MEMBERS tab, choose QUICK TUTORIALS and watch the clips. http://www.playnaia.org/page/tutorial.php. You are encouraged to share this starting point with your colleagues.
2. Please click on the NAIA MEMBERS tab, choose ROLE OF COACHES and familiarize yourself with the bullet points. http://www.playnaia.org/page/coach.php. You are encouraged to share this starting point with your colleagues.
VIII. NEW BUSINESS
Committee Chair: Katy Meyer
- 1. Christy Clawson asked the committee members for any items that they would like to see on the meeting agenda for the convention in December. If anyone has any items they would like to see addressed, please let Christy know.
- 2. Andrea Harshman of Grace College recently informed Katy that she had a player on her team pass away in a tragic accident. Please keep the program in your thoughts.
Next call is scheduled for Wednesday, November 3 at 1 p.m. EDT.
Call adjourned 1:34 p.m. (EDT)