10.19.09 TYC HCC Conference Call Minutes
Two-Year College Head Coaches Committee Conference Call Notes
Tuesday, October 19, 2010 @ 11:00 am (ET)
Dial-In # - (800) 387-6159
Conference ID - 7971909
Present on Call
Ashley Beil, AVCA
David Rehr, Blinn College - Chair
Marci Henry, NJCAA Volleyball Representative (NJCAA, DI)
Bert Luallen, Seward County Community College (NJCAA, DI)
Jane Peterson, Central Lakes College (NJCAA, DIII)
Jayme Frazier, Linn-Benton Community College (NWAAC)
Kim Lester, San Diego Mesa College (CCCAA)
Michael De Hoog, Big Bend Community College (NWAACC)
Rick Reynolds, Western Wyoming Community College (NJCAA, DI)
Travis Ward, Laramie County Community College (NJCAA, DI)
Rick Younger, Butler County Community College (NJCAA, DII)
Guest Speaker Trish Knight - Former AVCA TYC Board Representative and current Head Coach at Texas Tech University. Trish spoke about her transition from TYC into Division I, the things she knows now and what she wishes she would have known then.
- 2010 AVCA Annual Convention registration is now open. This year's Convention will take place December 15-19 in Kansas City. Early bird deadline is Friday, November 5.
- Ballots for TYC representative on the AVCA Board have been distributed and you should have received those via email. Please cast your vote by the October 25 deadline.
- AVCA Webinar Tuesday, October 26 @ 12:00 pm (ET): "Playing your Best at the End of the Season" presented by Tom Hilbert
- NEW! AVCA Webinar Wednesday, November 10 @ 1:00 pm (ET)" "Talking to the Media about Volleyball: How to Help them Help Us" presented by John Cook
- Talent Showcase Registration Reminder - registration is open to TYC student-athletes and registration price is $85. College coaches that are attending the Talent Showcase can pre-register and receive the participants' information in advance.
- Coaches 4 Coaches Scholarship Fund - the AVCA is accepting donations to the Coaches 4 Coaches Scholarship Fund. This year's class of scholarship recipients will be announced later this week and this program would not be possible without the support of our members. You can donate as little as $10 through the AVCA Website and every donation counts!
- Guest Speakers for upcoming calls - please email me with recommendations of who you would like to hear on one of our monthly calls
- Topics of interest for guest speakers - please email me with recommendations of what topics you would like to hear about on one of our monthly calls
- IMPORTANT! If you guys want to have a booth at this year's Convention, please connect with Toby Bishop (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details. Someone will need to volunteer to take the lead on this project to confirm the booth space and get a plan for your presence organized.
- New committee members: Welcome, Travis Ward!
- NWAAC Tournament is normally a 3-day tournament. This year, the tournament will kick-off with the Sophomore Showcase and coaches meeting, followed by the tournament with the championship match taking place on the 4th day.
- Facing budget cuts from the state and possible cuts of athletics programs. Only one volleyball program has been cut to-date and that was 2 years ago.
- Facing budget cuts in Physical Education programs and athletics.
- Used to run an 8-team Championship, it will now be a Final 4 with 3 rounds of regional playoffs.
- Sophomore Showcase is still taking place; Saturday, December 4
Publications Sub-Committee Updates