November 10, 2011
Division II Head Coaches Committee Conference Call Minutes
November 10, 2010 * 2:00 p.m. EST*
Cody Hein, Chico State
Bren Stevens, Charleston
Randi Smart, Cal State L.A.
Megan Hrbek, Caldwell
Linda Bell, Elizabeth City State
Heather Vahjen, Erskine
Bo Pagliasotti, Southwestern Oklahoma
Robin Salters, New Haven
Katie O'Brien, Montevallo
Zach Shaver, Indiana University (Pa.)
Jamie Skadeland, Colorado School of Mines
Lynze Roos, Lynn
Ashley Buckley, Augustana
Kris Naber, Grand Canyon
Selina Bynum-Kohn, Paine
Michael Robinson, Tusculum
Jessica Rinehart, Northwest Missouri State
Stephanie Radecki, North Alabama
Deanne Scanlon, Grand Valley State
Sean Donahue, St. Edward's
Carlos Chia, Northern Kentucky
Phil Shoemaker, Alaska-Fairbanks
Alex Koszalka, Dowling
Meeting Called to Order: 2:00 p.m. EST
I. Welcome (Cody)
Cody began the call by welcoming everyone and thanking them for their time.
II. AVCA Update (Leah)
Leah gave a brief update on things going on at the AVCA. This included:
- The early bird deadline to register for the AVCA Convention December 15 - 19 in Kansas City, Missouri has passed. You can still register for the convention online by December 1 by visiting the AVCA Convention website.
- Volleyball coaches love to talk shop and tell stories and the AVCA Convention is your place to do both. This year the convention schedule is loaded with numerous networking events for you to connect with old friends and make new ones. Visit the AVCA Convention Web site to see the entire convention schedule including all networking events, seminars and meetings.
- While at the convention make sure to spend time in AVCA Volleyball Marketplace. This is your opportunity to learn about the newest products and services developed specifically for volleyball and volleyball coaches. Nearly 100 vendors will be on hand to inform you of the newest innovations in the sport. Visit the Convention Web site for a listing of the current vendors who will be exhibiting in Volleyball Marketplace. Also, don't forget that Volleyball Marketplace is home of the AVCA Career Center for coaches who would like to post or search job openings.
- The AVCA Salary Survey results have been distributed. If you took part in the survey, but did not receive the results, feel free to contact Jason Jones (Jason.email@example.com).
- University of Nebraska head coach John Cook will be presented an AVCA webinar on "Talking to the Media about Volleyball: How to help them Help Us" (presented by Jostens) on earlier this afternoon. You can still purchase the recording of this webinar, in addition to all previous webinars, in the AVCA Product Store. Member pricing is $9.99. Also Rotate 1,2,3 will present a webinar on Wednesday, December 1 at 1 PM EST. Rotate 123 saves coaches hours of time by automating the rotation, lineup and formation creation process. As an AVCA member, you receive a one-year subscription to Rotate 123 for FREE. At this webinar get a first look at Rotate 123 Pro. A completely new version of the service. Many great enhancements have been added but the most significant is "Match Ups". Compare your team's lineups to your opponent's. In just minutes you can compare options that would take you many, many hours. Get the competitive edge by optimizing your lineups. Register today and be one of first coaches to see the new version. This webinar is free to anyone who has previously purchased an AVCA webinar this fall. It is also available at a member price of $9.99.
- The Volleyball Market/AVCA Play of the Week is back again in 2010. If your team makes an outstanding play during a match that is caught on video tape, be sure to submit it to the AVCA for consideration! Each week's winners will go head-to-head at the end of the season to decide the Volleyball Market/AVCA Play of the Year, which will be announced at the AVCA Convention. Nomination information is available on the AVCA web site.
- The AVCA has compiled a list of schools who have talked about or have already announced adding a Sand Volleyball program. This document can be found on the AVCA website under the Divisions tab and then Sand Volleyball.
- Online nominations for Division II postseason awards will open November 15. If you have a question on your membership, please contact AVCA Member Services. Also, nominations for region coaches of the year and the national assistant coach of the year are due by Monday, November 15. Please contact Amanda Brungs (Amanda.firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
III. Chair Reports (Cody)
1. Clarification on strength trainer in the summertime proposal
Cody asked Bren and Bo to clarify the exacts of the proposal to allow a strength trainer to be present with athletes who are on campus over the summer.
Bren: the proposal cam from the Lonestar Conference and is Legislative Proposal #4
* The Competitive Safeguards Committee came up with three caveats to suggest adding to the proposal:
If the member's institution had a sports medicine person on staff, they could override the strength coach.
The strength personnel would be certified in First Aid, CPR, AED, etc.
The strength personnel would be nationally certified.
* The Competitive Safeguards Committee is NOT supporting the proposal at this point because the Lonestar Conference would not include the three caveats.
* The proposal will be up for the membership to either vote up or down, as it is written now
* The presidents will probably agree with the Competitive Safeguards Committee.
Bo: Doesn't know why the Lonestar Conference would not include the caveats.
*The proposal was brought to the conference because kids are staying on campus anyways in the summer, but coaches couldn't be in the weight room. Wouldn't it be better if someone who knows their team and strength workouts was allowed in the weight room with them?
2. Other agenda items
*Bren reported on an inquiry she had made with the NCAA in regards to the Injury Surveillance Data. She asked if they had data available yet from the Injury Surveillance System about preseason injuries? She wonders if this data will give any insight as whether losing a week of preseason increased or decreased injuries. She was told that the data has not been complied yet, and the data would be made available to her as soon as it is ready.
IV. Next Meeting
The next HCC call will be November 10 at 2 p.m. EST.