October 13, 2011
AVCA Division III Head Coaches Committee Meeting
October 13, 2011 - 11 a.m. ET
Kandis Schram, Ed Garza (for Sam Lambert), Alexa Keckler, Mari Winter, Monica McDonald, Bridget Sheehan, Jeanne Hess, Tammy Swearingen, Mark Massey, DeAnn Woodin, Jill Jolliff, Amanda Cuiffo, Becky Schmidt
Role Call Question:
What new business would you like to discuss this fall?
AVCA Recruiting Series Poll:
Thanks to everyone who complete the survey. We appreciate your feedback.
- Registration is now open for the 2011 AVCA Annual Convention! With over 70 educational sessions, the AVCA brings you five days of unparalleled educational excellence featuring a lineup that includes Mike Hebert, Shelton Collier, John Dunning, Brian Gimmillaro, Mary Wise, John Cook, Al Scates, Bill Neville, Ruth Nelson, Jim McLaughlin and Jerritt Elliott. The early bird deadline is Friday, November 4, so make sure to pre-register before that date to take advantage of the discount.
- Webinars - Down the Stretch Webinars are currently available to purchase. The first one is October 25 at 1:00pm presented by Brittany Smith of Taylor University. She will be discussing the issue of negotiating challenges of being a coach and parent. This webinar is followed by Dennis Janzen's session about helping team captions be leaders when all is not going according to plan. And the series will round out with Dan Tudor on November 8 discussing how to stay connected with key recruits during your season. So you can register for any of these on the AVCA website.
- 2011 NCSA/AVCA Fall Girls' Talent Showcase Coaches Pre-Registration: Coaches can register to attend the talent showcase held on Sunday, December 18 held in conjunction with the AVCA Annual Convention. You must have your convention badge to enter the event. Registration is free and coaches will receive the information on the athletes prior to the start of the event. http://www.avca.org/events/talent-showcases/
- October 14 Membership Deadline: Be sure and secure your AVCA membership by Friday, October 14 (tomorrow) in order to ensure eligibility for AVCA postseason awards programs! If you have questions on the status of your membership, contact AVCA Member Services at email@example.com or 866-544-2822
- http://www.avca.org/membership/coaches-4-coaches/scholarship-donations/ - Coaches 4 Coaches is in need of your donations!
- Samantha Lambert from Rhodes College is the new DIII Women's representative on the AVCA Board. Patrick Dorywalski of Stevens Institute of Technology is the new DIII Men's representative on the AVCA Board. Click here to see the full press release.
- Tammy Swearington - Don't forget to submit your rules proposals to the NCAA Committee. This is your opportunity for DIII to be heard. We need to educate other about the limitations of DIII coaches
- Becky Schmidt - what are they current hot topics with rules?
- TS - Net violations, two liberos (can have one in to receive and another in for offense - or serve - can't be on the floor at the same time)
- BS - Ranking a full 8 teams from each region - not sure how it will affect NCAA tournament decision.
o Reps should be on call next time
o Should be based on percentage of your region size
o Teams per region are greatly diverse
o Maybe rank more teams since already looking at them
- BS - this committee needs to be in the loop of what's happening on regional calls
- o Many coaches don't know how to schedule to increase their chances
- Mari Winter - The Rack Ranking Published on http://www.ncaa.com/
o All rankings will be posted - all team's strength of schedule, win/loss percentage, etc.(everything the committee will use)
o Also posted on D3VB.org
o Open to the public
o Search by region
o Once ranked always ranked
- In previous years the Rack committee would rank on the call. Now they are going to discuss on the call and after the call each representative will go online and rank all themselves.
Becky is moving the next two calls to Tuesdays. Therefore, the next two calls will be Tuesday, November 8, and Tuesday, December 6, both at 11:00am Eastern Time.