SVCC Conference Call Minutes
Sand Volleyball Coaches Committee
Monday, July 16
Committee Members on Call: Nina Matthies (Pepperdine), Chair, Jason Kepner (College of Charleston), Anna Collier (USC), Danalee Corso(FSU), Steve Loeswick (UNF)
Minutes transcribed by Kathy DeBoer;
The call began at 1:00 p.m. PT; 4 p.m. ET
Kathy DeBoer recapped her visit in New York with the CBS Sports Network staff that had worked on and/or supported the broadcast of the 2012 AVCA Collegiate Sand Volleyball National Championships. The network officials were pleased with the response they had received to the Alt Games broadcasts in June and planned to include two segments from those shows in the CBS Sports Spectacular Show on Aug 12 at 1 p.m. ET, 10 a.m. PT.
The network representatives were also open to televising more of the team championship and asked the committee to consider the Long Beach format of 2-1-2 for the five matches in the championship final. This would require broadcast compatibility on two courts, doubling the number from 2012, but would allow for coverage of Saturday's team championship. The committee wanted to discuss this further after looking at timing options.
The committee reviewed the suggestions from the Selection Committee call of July 6, 2012:
- They agreed that a point of emphasis for 2013 must be consistency of format (dual match play first and bracketed pairs tourney if time) and length of matches (all should be 2 to 21 and 1 to 15, if needed)
- The committee also discussed the recusal from voting of an administrator whose team was under consideration to avoid the appearance of undue influence. As this takes an odd number of committee members and makes it an even number, options were discussed for breaking ties.
- o It was suggested that an ‘alternate', possibly an official who worked a lot of matches in an area, be asked to serve on the selection committee, and vote if there was a tie.
- Some committee members felt that the criteria used i.e. head-to-head, record v. common opponents, strength of schedule and overall record, should be weighted to reflect the Coaches Committee's priorities for selection. Anna Collier volunteered to put together a formula to launch this discussion.
- In discussing a replacement on the Selection Committee for FIU's Rita Buck-Crockett, who will be transitioning to a coaching role, it was suggested that administrators from schools whose coaches are on the Coaches Committee should be eligible for the Selection Committee also. A mention was made that this might also have the appearance of undue influence.
- It was suggested that appointments on both the Selection Committee and the Coaches Committee be rotated on a two- year cycle so more coaches and administrators can be involved in the process of guiding sand volleyball from emerging to championship status.
Review of 2012 AVCA Collegiate Sand Volleyball National Championships and Recommendations:
- a. Amount of Play: Three matches per day seemed to be the right amount for the championship
- b. Format: consensus seemed to be that while pool play was necessary this first year, the championship should transition to a more NCAA-like format which is bracket play
- c. Jason Kepner volunteered to outline some formats for play to bring to the committee's next meeting.
- d. The number of participants in the championship was mentioned multiple times, but the committee consensus was that this decision should wait until we have a clearer picture of the number of teams adding varsity programs in 2013.
- e. If bracket expansion occurred, there was support for an ASUN automatic bid
- f. Most of the committee favored keeping the pair's championship open to two teams from the same school. Discussion will continue on whether they should be intentionally placed on the same side of the bracket.
The call closed with a brief discussion of the AVCA Convention Sand VB Education Sessions. Kathy DeBoer will reach out to college sand coaches and ask for their help in teaching these sessions.
The next call will be at 12 noon, ET, 9 a.m. PT on Monday, August 6. This call adjourned at 5:20 p.m. ET, 2:20 p.m. PT