SVCC Conference Call Minutes
Sand Volleyball Coaches Committee #5
Tuesday, Nov. 27, 2012
The Call started at 7:30 p.m. ET; 4:30 p.m. PT
Committee Members Present: Nina Matthies (Pepperdine), chair, Anna Collier (USC), Jason Kepner (Col. of Charleston), Steve Loeswick (UNF), Danalee Corso (FSU)
AVCA Staff: Kathy DeBoer (ED), Jason Jones (AED) Kathy DeBoer transcribed the minutes
- I. Tentative Format for 2013 AVCA Sand VB Team National Championships, May 3-5, 2013
- a. Team Championship: The team championship will be played on Friday, May 3 and Saturday, May 4.
- b. The committee recommended that six(6) teams be invited to complete for the Team Championship. The format will be a double elimination until the semi-finals; then a sudden death final four (diagram attached)
- c. Dates of Play
- i. Friday, May 3 - two winner rounds, one loser round (3 matches max); two teams eliminated
- ii. Saturday, May 4 - Final Four (two matches max)
- d. Distribution of bids: currently is looks as if there will be 13 varsity programs in the southeast and 13 varsity programs in the west. (Teams attached) If this distribution holds and an equal number of teams from each region declare they will send a full team to the championship, the six bids will be distributed equally, three to the southeast, three to the west. The AVCA will send out the "Letters of Intent" early in the 2012 season and depending on the responses, the distribution of bids by region may be revisited.
- e. The committee affirmed that the ASUN Conference should be given an automatic bid.
- II. Tentative Format for 2013 AVCA Sand VB Pair's National Championships, May 3-5, 2013; Committee agreed that all teams should play an equal number of matches on Sunday, May 5, and that four (4), while a lot, was doable. Several formats where discussed and committee members were to send suggestions to Kathy DeBoer after the call. The consensus of the suggestions is below:
- a. Number of Teams - 22 Pairs will have a chance to win the national title.
- i. Ten (10) pairs will be chosen as "best of the rest" from institutions whose teams do not make the team championship. No more than two pairs will be selected from a single school and a #2 pair will only be considered if the #1 pair has been voted into the field.
- ii. The ‘best of the rest' will be divided into two pools of five with each team playing four matches (two on Friday, May 3 and two on Saturday, May 4). The top two finishers in each pool will advance to the 16-team single elimination bracket on Sunday, May 5.
- iii. The #1 pair from the six participants in the Team Championship and the #2 pair from the semi-finalists will be placed into the Pair's Championship bracket on Sunday
- iv. The # 2 pair from the other two team championship schools and the #3 pool finishers will play each other on Saturday, May 4 for the opportunity to make the Sunday bracket.
- b. Sunday's 16-team Single Elimination Bracket
- i. Pairs:
- 1. Four (4) from Best of the Rest Pool Play (top two finishers)
- 2. Ten (10) from Team Championship Participants (Six #1 pairs + four #2 pairs)
- 3. Two (2) from playoff of third finisher in each pool against #2 pair from other two teams in championship
- ii. Schedule for Sunday's matches - TBD in consultation with CBSSN & Gulf Shores
- III. Sand VB Coaches Meeting @ AVCA Convention Friday, Dec. 14
1:30-3:00 p.m. KICC 218-219
- a. NCAA Legislative Questions - Kathy DeBoer will have a conversation with Stephanie Castera, our new NCAA liaison and ask her to come prepared to speak to the issues listed on the Agenda for the Sand VB Coaches Meeting at the AVCA Convention.
- b. Line up Challenges - Danalee Corso
- c. Coaching Parameters - Keith Murlless, Steve Owen
- d. Statistics - Anna Collier & Danalee Corso
The call ended at 8:16 p.m. ET; 5:16 p.m. PT