TYC HCC Conference Call Minutes
Two-Year College Head Coaches Committee Conference Call
Wednesday, April 18, 2012
11:30 am ET
Present on Call:
Terry Pettit (guest speaker), Giovanna Melo, Rick Reynolds (chair), Sue Sinclair, Kim Whitney, Darren McBroom, Jane Peterson, Jenny Hull
- Primary responsibility of the TYC coach is the development of the student-athlete to be able to continue to play. Terry discussed the impact of 15 substitutions on TYC coaches/student-athletes. There was also time for Q&A with the committee members.
- Thank you, Terry Pettit, and thank you, Rick for recruiting Terry to join us on today's call.
- AVCA is doing a fundraising campaign for the Coaches 4 Coaches Scholarship Program. The goal is to raise $1,010 by October 10. To donate, visit the AVCA Product Store. Donations can be made in $10, $25 or $50 increments. Whichever group raises the most money, someone who donated from that group will be randomly selected to win a free 2012 Convention registration.
- AVCA Spring Conference walk-up registrations will be accepted on-site. Spring Conference is May 3-5 on the campus of USC.
- Inaugural Sand Championships will be held next week, April 27-29 in Gulf Shores, AL and will be televised on CBS Sports Network two hour-long specials. Part 1 of their coverage will air beginning on Wednesday, June 6 at 9 PM EST and Part 2 will begin airing on Wednesday, June 13, also at 9 PM EST.
- Nothing major was passed at NJCAA Convention. NJCAA Eligibility Center was not brought up for a vote. Are keeping the 25% rule for eligibility rosters.
- Presto Sports stats reporting instead of through the NJCAA Website. The link will still be on the NJCAA Website but Presto Sports will host the software.
- Looking to work with technology more. Any recommendations for stats programs they could use on the iPad. iStat was recommended - stats can be emailed and shared by Kim Whitney.
- No one present on the call.
- Rick has asked the committee to look at the committee procedures, set-up and structure for considerations.
- o Rick wants to figure out how to make the committee a functioning unit that is effective at communicating with all of the TYC constituencies.
- o Consider having ex officio committee members as advisors to the committee.
- o Sue's original focus was for all 5 groups to be represented on the committee.
- o Start distributing the minutes to all TYC members after each meeting.
Next Call May 16 at 11:30 am (ET)