TYC HCC Conference Call Minutes
Two-Year College Head Coaches Committee Conference Call
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
11:30 am ET
Present on Call:
Ashley Beil (AVCA), Jane Peterson, Cecile Reynaud (guest speaker), Rick Reynolds, Sonny Lewis, Kathy DeBoer (AVCA), Jenni Hull, Sue Sinclair
Cecile Reynaud - Have to keep the Gen Xers engaged. Sometimes we forget this with our athletes. Oftentimes we just tell them what to do and expect them to show up and do it. As coaches we should consider talking less and asking more questions. Make student-athletes involved in the process e.g. creating travel itineraries, naming their own plays. Keep it fun!
- Thank you, Cecile, and thank you, Rick for recruiting Cecile to join us on today's call.
- AVCA is doing a fundraising campaign for the Coaches 4 Coaches Scholarship Program. The goal is to raise $1,010 by October 10. To donate, visit the AVCA Product Store. Donations can be made in $10, $25 or $50 increments. Whichever group raises the most money, someone who donated from that group will be randomly selected to win a free 2012 Convention registration. To donate: http://www.avca.org/membership/coaches-4-coaches/scholarship-donations/.
- AVCA membership dues are scheduled to increase on July 1. Beat the increase! Every Two-Year College head coach who joins or renews their AVCA membership between now and July 1 can sign up or renew the membership of an assistant coach, volunteer assistant, administrator or Director of Ops on their staff (membership must be of lesser value) at no charge! This offer is not available through the AVCA Website. The offer is redeemable through a membership form that will be attached to the call minutes.
- AVCA Team Academic Award nominations open at 8:00 am (ET) on Friday, June 1 and run through Friday, June 29 at 5:00 pm (ET).
- Does the committee want to continue monthly calls through June and July or take these 2 summer months off?
- Next call on June 20 at 11:30 am (ET). We will take July off from the HCC call.
- Requirements for incoming and continuing students changed. An international student-athlete (non-US citizen/non-permanent resident) reaching his/her 21st birthday prior to August 1st each year will be charged with one (1) season of NJCAA eligibility regardless of participation provide he/she has NJCAA eligibility remaining. An international student-athlete (non-US citizen/non-permanent resident) reaching his/her 22nd birthday prior to August 1st each year will be charged with two (2) seasons of NJCAA eligibility regardless of participation.
NOTE: Documentation of birth will be required for verification of DOB to include passport, visa, birth certificate or other legal documentation as part of the eligibility packet for international student-athletes (non-US citizen).
- Dedicated court to TYC student-athletes at AVCA Talent Showcase?