SVCC Conference Call Minutes
Sand Volleyball Coaches Committee #7
Tuesday, February 26, 2013
The Call started at 7:00 p.m. ET; 4:00 p.m. PT
Committee Members Present: Nina Matthies, Chair (Pepperdine), Anna Collier (USC), Jason Kepner (Col. of Charleston), Steve Loeswick (UNF), Danalee Corso (FSU)
AVCA Staff: Kathy DeBoer (ED), Ashley Beil (CMO) Kathy DeBoer transcribed the minutes
- 1. National Championship Selection Committee - Cory Bray, Assistant Athletics Director for Compliance at the University of Alabama-Birmingham was selected as the fifth member of the committee. The other four are Sherri Booker (ASUN Conference), Ali Wood Lamberson (USAV Beach), Mark Edrington (LBSU) and Kathy DeBoer (AVCA)
- a. Two Alternates were recommended. The alternate will vote in cases where a committee member's institution or conference is under consideration
- i. Dave Carstenson from the Southeast
- ii. Keith Murlless from the West
2. 2013 National Championship Format - See attachment for Tentative Time Schedule
a. Team Championship: 6 teams playing in Double Elimination tourney until Semi-Finals then Single Elimination
i. One Automatic Bid - ASUN Conference
ii. Two Teams from the Southeast
- iii. Two Teams from the West
- iv. Best At Large Team from either Region
- v. Finals: Timing of match starts will be staggered to allow for maximum television coverage by CBS Sports. The #1 and #2 matchups will be played on Championship Court One
- b. Pair's Championship: Twenty total
- i. 10 Pairs selected from schools not invited to the Team Championship; Will be referred to as ‘Best of the Rest'
- ii. Two Five Team pools - each team plays two matches on Friday/two on Saturday
- i. Top two pairs from pool play automatically into Sunday's bracket (4 teams total)
- ii. #3 pair in each pool plays against #2 pair from the two teams who lost out of the Team Championship on Friday. Winner gets into Sunday's Pair's Championship (2 teams)
- iii. #1 pair from each school in the Team Championship and #2 pair from the top four teams entered into the Pair's Championship on Sunday (10 teams
- iv. 16 Team Single Elimination Bracket for Pair's Championship played on Sunday, May 5, starting at 8 a.m. finishing at 3 p.m.
- v. NOTE: If in the semifinals two pairs from the same school are on opposite sides of the bracket, they will be crossed over to play each other so the final will be pairs from different schools.
3. Waiver request on NCAA Bylaw 22.214.171.124.8 (a): Florida State and the ASUN Conference have lead the process to request that the three dual restriction be broadened. Schools will still be required to compete in three duals to meet minimum contest requirements, but they would also be allowed other competition on the same day, none of which would count toward the minimum. Twenty four of the 30 schools competing in the spring of 2013 have endorsed this waiver request, as has the AVCA. We will let you know as soon as possible if it is granted.
4. Top 10 AVCA Pre-season Poll: A request for your votes was sent out to all schools competing in 2013. Voting closes on Friday, March 2.