AVCA NAIA HEAD COACHES COMMITTEE
Monthly Conference Call
•I. Welcome - Christy Clawson, HCC Chair (email@example.com)
•II. Welcome New Members
Assistant Coach Representative
California Pacific Conference
The Sun Conference
Kentucky Intercollegiate Conference
•III. AVCA Updates - Jackson Silvanik, (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- A. General updates.
- B. AVCA Board Update
- Spring Conference: Our program is very strong including Al Scates, Marv Dunphy, Karch Kiraly, Bill Ferguson, Mike Sealy, Mike Haley, Mark Pavlik and Arnie Ball. Thanks much to BoD members Anne Kordes, Kevin Hambly, Rick Reynolds and Cecile Reynaud for contributing their expertise also. Our registration numbers are ahead of 2011 so we anticipate another good event.
- NCAA DI Women's VB Committee: Anne Kordes, Rob Patrick, Kevin Hambly and I spent almost three hours with the DI Committee and NCAA VB Championship staff on Thursday, Feb. 16. We discussed with them adding more tools to the selection process, specifically, we asked them to consider evaluating whether the Pablo Rankings and the AVCA Poll should be considered in addition to the RPI and the team sheets currently used to make selections.
- NCAA Convention DIII Legislative Update: Division III is now allowed to text prospects. This is effective immediately.
- NCAA Men's DIII Championship: the inaugural event will be held April 27-29 at Springfield College right down the road from the place where volleyball was invented. The bracket will include nine teams, composed of six automatic qualifiers and three at large selections. A play-in will take place on April 21 with the winner, along with the seven other teams advancing to Springfield College.
- AVCA College Volleyball Showcase: Board member Sandy Vong has brought us a potential opportunity for 2012 for the college event. Bayi, an elite club team from China, is considering a U.S. tour in late August and early September. They want to play the best college teams in California. The AVCA made contact with UCLA, USC, Cal and Stanford from the Pac 12 and Pepperdine from the WCC. All have tentatively agreed to play the Bayi team. We also contacted the Pac 12 Network which will launch this fall and there is a possibility they will broadcast the matches with Pac 12 teams. While this opportunity does not have financial ramifications, either good or bad, for the AVCA, it is ‘on mission' for our organization and something the Executive Committee has authorized the staff to pursue. Many details still need to come together, but early indications are encouraging from China and the Pac 12.
- NCAA Rules: the rules committee recommended that the number of substitutions allowed in a 25 point set be increased from 12 to 15. This has been approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel and will be in effect for next season.
- C. Affiliations E-News letter http://avca.scoutware.net/vb/cgi/viewMail.pl?i=T2610232301_11810263&
- 2012 NCSA/AVCA Spring Girls' Talent Showcase
Thursday, March 29, 2012 | Reliant Center - Houston, Texas http://www.avca.org/events/talent-showcases/
•· Share Phenom With Your Team! http://www.avca.org/phenom/
- Registration for the 2012 AVCA Spring Conference: 21st Century Coaching Skills is now open! Make plans to join us May 3-5 in Los Angeles, California! http://www.avca.org/laspringconference2012/
- Sportwide/AVCA Video Tips of the Week http://www.avca.org/education-resources/video-tip-of-the-week/
•· 2012 AVCA Recruiting Webinar Series http://www.avca.org/education-resources/coaching-education/webinars/
- Check out the latest issue of Coaching Volleyball 2.0!
- 2011 AVCA Convention Educational Sessions
Materials from the 2011 AVCA Annual Convention educational sessions are now posted on the AVCA Website. http://www.avca.org/education-resources/coaching-education/2011-convention-seminars/
•IV. NAIA Update - Jamie Adams, Manager of Championship Sports (JAdams@naia.org)
- A. General updates - collateral for Qualifiers ready to go. Not on call due to DI WBB Bracketing for Nationals
•V. Committee Updates:
- A. Recognition Committee - Stew McDole
- B. Competition Committee - Mike Gibson (on spring break; send info for 2013 National's to him)
- C. Membership - Christy Clawson http://www.avca.org/membership/
- As 2012 Fall season rolls around start checking your conferences for membership.
- D. Sand Volleyball - Christy Clawson http://www.avca.org/sand/
- Collegiate Sand VB: the first season for this NCAA Emerging Sport begins this weekend with Florida State playing at the University of Alabama/Birmingham. 15 schools, 5 in the west and 10 in the southeast, have declared their intent to field a varsity program. The AVCA has partnered with Gulf Shores, Alabama and the USAV Region there to host the first National Championship on April 27-29. Similar to the Molten Men's DIII Championship, we will be involved until there are a sufficient number of teams (40) for the NCAA to consider a championship.
•VI. Other Constituency Updates:
- A. Men's Programs - John Yehling
- B. Assistant Coaches - TBA
- C. Conferences - Any Committee Members
- NAIA Showcase @ LSC w/ NAIA collateral - Christy
- NAIA collateral for Qualifiers @ Show Me - Stew
•VII. Committee Chair General Report - Christy Clawson (email@example.com)
- A. AVCA Spring Convention
- B. ACTION ITEM - My recent push with conferences resulted in the filling of two of the vacant positions on this committee. Please stay active with your own conference members, encourage and foster AVCA membership among coaches as well as involvement to submit video tips of the week and articles to AVCA.
•VIII. Roll Call - Christy Clawson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- o TBA (Association of Independent Institutions) o Mark Perisi (American Mideast Conference)
- o John Yehling (American Midwest Conference, Men's Rep.) o Christy Mooberry (Appalachian Athletic Conference)
- o TBA (California Pacific Conference) o Natalie Wildes (Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conf.)
- o Dakota Athletic Conference Disbanded o Kim Norman (Frontier Conference)
- o Marissa Booker (Golden State Athletic Conference) o Cindy Meyer (Great Plaines Athletic Conference)
- o Sarah Grams (Gulf Coast Athletic Conference) o Derick White (Heart of America Athletic Conference)
- o Nathalea Stephenson (Kansas Collegiate Conference) o Andria Harshman (Mid-Central College Conference)
- o Samantha Harvey (Midlands Collegiate Athletic Conference) o Ryan DeLong (Mid-west Collegiate Conference)
- o Andy Cavins (Mid-South Conference) o Todd Lowery (Red River Athletic Conference)
- o Anna Monsen Howle (Sooner Athletic Conference) o Tori Bartels (Southern States Athletic Conference)
- o TBA (The Sun Conference) o Todd Humphry (TranSouth Athletic Conference)
- o Kirsta Solberg (Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference) o Stew McDole (Recognition Committee)
- o Mike Gibson (Competition Committee) o Jackson Silvanik (AVCA Representative)
o Jamie Adams (NAIA - Volleyball Administrator) o TBA (Assistant Coach Representative)
- o Jason Corwin (Cascade Collegiate Conference) o TBA (Kentucky Intercollegiate Conference)
Next NAIA Head Coaches Committee meeting - Wednesday, April 4, 2012, 1:00 PM CST