TYC HCC Conference Call Minutes
Two-Year College Head Coaches Committee Conference Call
Wednesday, September 18, 2013
11:30 am ET
Present on Call:
Ashley Beil (AVCA), Kathy DeBoer (AVCA), Mary Ellen Leicht (NJCAA), Mary Young, Rick Reynolds (Chair), Kim Whitney, Giovanna Melo, Sue Sinclair, Kevin Kramer
Mary Ellen Leicht - NJCAA Sand Volleyball Updates
- Began a year and a half ago with a survey to member colleges. Bad timing financially to be having that conversation. 200 responses from survey. Results given to Executive Committee for consideration.
- o 75% of responses said "no" that sand volleyball was not an option
- o The schools that did say "yes" were very spread out geographically making it difficult logistically to consider adding
- Might be good to revisit this again in 1-2 years
- Minimums for consideration - a significant number of schools and enough schools within regions that are all interested in adding
- Q : If a TYC program wanted to compete in a beach event in the Spring, what restrictions would they be looking at? A: Sand participation would be considered as a spring play date.
- @ NCAA level there are 37 confirmed teams and another 5-6 likely for the Spring 2014. NAIA has 3 programs
- o AVCA anticipates Spring 2016 the first season sand volleyball to be an NCAA Championship sport
- CCCAA follows the NCAA rules & guidelines
- Rick recommended for Mary Ellen, Mary Young, Marci Henry and himself get on a call to clarify these guidelines and distribute the information so everyone is on the same page. Ashley Beil will help facilitate.
- 2013 AVCA Convention registration is open. Early bird deadline is Friday, November 1. For more information on the 2013 AVCA Convention and to register visit www.avca.org/seattle13.
- Salary surveys have closed and 61 surveys were completed by TYC head coach members. Results are being compiled and will be distributed to all who participated by the end of October.
- Please consider donating to the Coaches 4 Coaches Scholarship Fund. We have reached our goal of $2,500 and Kathy will be rappelling on Thursday, September 26! Donate to this great cause today at http://www.avca.org/membership/coaches-4-coaches/scholarship-donations/.
- Applications for the Coaches 4 Coaches and Minority Coaches Scholarship programs will be accepted through October 11. If you have a staff member interested in applying, please have them visit the respective links (hyperlinked above) for an application form.
- As a reminder the TYC Student-Athlete Recruiting Database is live for input of your student-athletes looking to play at 4-year schools. To enter information on your student-athletes and to download the current database, please visit http://www.avca.org/divisions/two-year-college-women/.
New polling procedures are going a lot smoother this year in Division I
- Kim Whitney - they had an issue where their stats were entered and another team's entry wiped out their entry making them ineligible
- Kevin Kramer - Is there any documentation of requests that have been sent to Presto so that the CCCAA can know if problems they are experiencing are recurring problems, new problems or problems that have been logged for a fix? Kevin is pressing them for compatibility with iStats.
- Upcoming deadlines for schools to do divisional commitments opens October 18 and closes November 4. Schools have to declare divisions by sport for seasons 2014-16.
- Rich Kern Poll - Top 25 public; full poll behind the firewall.
- There has been some discussion relative to the Mizuno Techno Generation L/S SKU #440399 jersey and whether or not it meets current NCAA uniform regulations. Please see the official NCAA response should your college have that specific jersey. Thank you to Mary Young, President of the NJCAA Volleyball Coaches Association for spearheading this clarification.
- No updates.
- Jamie Iver will no longer be able to be a rep from this division so Kevin and Jamie are looking for a replacement for the HCC.
- Legislation is being written and put in by October 1 for sand volleyball to become an official CCCAA sport. Will be voted on in Spring. Earliest season, if approved, would be Spring 2015.
Wednesday, October 16 @ 11:30 am (ET)