November 20 2013
Division II Head Coaches Committee Conference Call Minutes
Division II HCC Meeting - November 20, 2013
Jim Boos - Chair
Will Stanton: NOT PRESENT
Mike Stephens: NOT PRESENT
Lee Anderson: NOT PRESENT
Gayle Stammer: NOT PRESENT
Vernell Capers: NOT PRESENT
Chris Catanach: NOT PRESENT
Division II HCC Meeting
Wednesday, November 20th, 2013
12:00pm Central Standard Time
Phone #: (888) 680-7521
Access Code: 48229074
I. General Welcome, call to order
II. Roll Call
A. David Portney
1. General AVCA information update
In awards, today is the deadline for All-Region Coach and National Assistant Coach of the Year nominations. The nomination forms can be found on our website if you go the "awards nominations" tab then select "NCAA Division II." Here is the direct link: http://www.avca.org/awards/nominations/division-two/
As you may or may not know, unfortunately we will not be able to do the VPI testing and behavior profiling at the DII Championship this year. We submitted the proposal to the NCAA, it was sent to the Championships Committee then they passed it along to the Research Committee, so once we hear back it will be too late. We thank you for your willingness to participate, and hopefully we can utilize it with Division II down the road.
The final day to pre-register for the Convention is November 27th, after that date attendees can register on-site. Other than that, I'm looking forward to seeing many of you once again and also seeing some new faces.
1. AVCA Top 25 Poll Voting (David Portney)
Last vote will be after the finals on Dec. 16th (no other polls until then)...we need everyone to vote in that final poll (remind your additional voter and mark your calendar!)
2. Life in the Balance survey
Encourage your conference coaches to participate and voice their opinion
- Great opportunity for DII coaches to talk about life in the balance, please take the time to fill out. The more participation we get the better.
3. NCAA Championship Newsletter
- Rankings will be published November 6, November 13 and November 20 on http://tracking.ncaa.org/t/27525518/794007797/58446301/0/.
- Selection Announcement: 7:30 p.m. Eastern time, November 25 on http://tracking.ncaa.org/t/27525518/794007797/54636217/0/ . REMINDER: For any regional championship site where all seven participating school teams must fly by charter or commercial air in order to reach the host site, a contingency tournament format may be executed.
- Rules Interpretation Newsletter available here .
4. Regional Awards date changes
- Wednesday, Nov. 20 thru Tuesday, Nov. 26* - Head Coaches Vote for All-Region Teams
- Monday, December 2 - Region Conference Calls
- Wednesday, December 4 -Region Awards Announced
- Sunday, December 8 - AVCA Division II AA/NPOY/COY/ACOY Conf. Call
5. All-Region voting
Kate will be sending out an email on Wednesday morning to all DII member coaches that will feature a link to the voting ballot, stats of all nominated players from their region broken down by position, and reminders regarding the voting deadline and the requirement to vote in order for players to be considered for postseason awards.
The ballot itself will also include instructions regarding the minimum amount of votes that each position must receive. The ballot has been programed so that if a coach submits a incorrect ballot, an error message will appear stating what issue exists with the ballot in its current form.
Judging from the DIII coaches, the process has been very smooth. The only issue that we had was that coaches that left their browser on the ballot for too long tended to timeout. Often they would click submit and believe that their ballot had been counted, but we would not see the votes on our end. It would help to remind coaches that if they do not receive a confirmation email regarding their completed ballot, then it is possible that the server timed out and they need to resubmit.
6. NCAA Rules Survey - our chance to have a voice
- - Chance to share input, especially on pre-match protocol. Encourage conference to take the rules survey and share thoughts.
7. DII Coaches Connection newsletter - new legislation
- Timing of official visits moving to June 15th preceding junior year might get passed.
- - Tryouts would be June 15th preceding their junior year.
- - Selection criteria could pass, but won't take into effect until 2015.
- - Only allow football to have summer workouts run by strength and conditioning coach starting June 1st.
8. AVCA Convention HCC meeting - Wed., Dec. 18th 5:30-7:00pm (WSCC 205)
- Tentative attendance for that meeting (take role)
- Get a conf. replacement if you cannot attend - get Jim that name, school
- Topics: Warm-up protocol, regional balloting.
C. Kathleen Brasfield
IV. Other/New Items
V. Roll Call - double check to see if anyone joined late who missed the initial role call
VI. Next Meeting In-person at Convention: Wednesday, December 18th, 2013 5:30-7:00pm