August 15, 2007

8/15/2007

< back

Roll Call:


Kim Sudbeck, Augustana College

Todd Caughlin, St. Mary's University (Tx.)

Cody Hein, Chico State

Debbie Hendricks, Metropolitan State College

Tom Justice, Lock Haven University

Alex Koszalka, Dowling College

Stephanie Radecki, North Alabama

Tracy Rietzke, Rockhurst University

Phil Shoemaker, University of Alaska Fairbanks

Michael Sinesi, Univ. of Science in Philadelphia

Jill Stevens, Florida Southern

 

Absent

Tia Brandel, Ferris State University

Nedra Brown, Kentucky State University

Theresa Garlacy, Bryant College

Amber Glass, Augusta College

Patricia Mickow, St. Cloud State University

Shanon Mincy, Carson-Newman

Bo Pagliasotti, Southwestern Oklahoma

Bren Stevens, NCAA Rules, WV-Charleston

Ibraheen Suberu, Pittsburg State

Kris Naber, Grand Canyon University

 

Also on Call

Leah Brock, AVCA Sports Information & Special Projects. Will be new AVCA DII liaison.

Shay Ferguson, AVCA Coordinator, Awards and Membership

Jason Jones, Director, Operations

Melanie Nelson, Associate Commissioner, North Central Conference, AVCA DII Legislative Liaison

Meeting Called to Order: 2:05 p.m.

 

Topics

 

I. Welcome.

Kim welcomed everyone to the meeting. Introduced new Division II Committee members...

* Alex Koszalka, Dowling

* Patricia Mickow, St. Could University

* Stephanie Radecki, North Alabama

 

II. AVCA Update (Rick)
Kim began the meeting with an AVCA update. Rick then gave a short update on things going on at the AVCA. This included:

 

* New AVCA Staff: Shay Ferguson (Coordinator, Awards & Membership), Leah Brock (Sports Information & Special Projects) and Toby Bishop (Sales Manager).

 

* AVCA Membership: Division II membership is currently at 301. This is the time of year to really push for new members and renewals. When you are at tournaments and in matches, talk to the coaches and see if they are members. If they are, that is great. If not, tell them the benefits of joining the association and see if you can get them to consider joining.

 

* Convention Registration: Opens on August 20 at 1 p.m. See information on the AVCA Web site starting that day.

 

* Web Seminars: Two web seminars will be taking place next week: Stats Seminar on August 20, 1 p.m., and Web casting Seminar on August 21 at 2 p.m. An email was sent out detailing what the contents of each seminar will be, along with instructions on how to sign up for it. Attendance is limited to 100 people each. (Jason will discuss more on this topic.) Note: Mike Sinesi did not receive the e-mail. Rick sent it to him after the meeting.

 

* New Bulletin Board: The AVCA Web site now has new software for the Bulletin Board and all members are encouraged to check it out and begin using it. It is easier to use and has more topics for discussion. Any questions, just let Rick know.

III: AVCA Awards (Shay)
Kim introduced Shay, who talked about the awards program. Since she has been here, she has helped release the AVCA High School Boy's All America team and the Game PlanTM / AVCA Team Academic Awards, which had 308 members this year - a new record. Shay also mentioned that the All-American packets will go out on October 2, 2007. Kim, who is chair of the Div. II awards committee, mentioned that she would contact Shay to discuss changes from the previous year.

 

IV. Web Seminars and Web Casting (Jason)
Kim introduced Jason who talked about the two upcoming web seminars. The first one is: "Making Volleyball Statistics Simple," which will be held Monday, August 20 at 1 p.m. ET. The second one is: "Options for Video Streaming: Understanding and Applying the Technology to Volleyball," which will be held Tuesday, August 21 at 2 p.m. ET. Only 100 people can attend, so register early. To register for either or both of these sessions please e-mail Jessica Hanson at jessica.hanson@avca.org with the title of the presentation you wish to attend, name of the person participating, school/organization, phone number and e-mail address of the participant. In addition, for those who cannot attend, the AVCA will be making audio recordings of both presentations, which will be posted to the "Coaching Education" section on the AVCA Web site along with the PDF handouts. The recordings will be available 3 to 4 weeks after the presentation.

 

Jason also discussed web casting of matches this year. He explained how the Division III committee created a subcommittee to study this subject. The result is that they are going ahead with five "Web casts of the Week" during the 2007 season. Based on a survey they ran, they found that the Division III colleges wanted this to happen. They then tried to determine if they wanted to do "quality" vs. quantity of broadcasts. Quality meaning web casts that had multiple cameras, announcers, etc. Quality won out, and so there will be five of them this season. Jason suggested if Division II was interested, they should also form a committee and determine who is already doing web casting this season, who is doing "quality" web casting, and then determine which matches should be listed as the matches of the week. He suggested, and the committee members agreed, that Division II should really consider "quality" matches, with the thought being that if you're going to highlight Division II volleyball, you should show them a quality broadcast. Matches of the week would then be listed on the AVCA Web site one-week prior to broadcast. He also assured everyone that it is not too late to begin looking into this and still get matches selected for the 2007 season.

 

V. New Business
The first item was a quick mention that the Preseason Division II poll came out on Tuesday. Kim thanked everyone for their help in finding poll voters for the 2007 season and for those that voted themselves.

 

Next item was a Division I update. Kim mentioned that she had spoken with Beth Launiere (Division I Representative) and there were a couple things:

 

* Recruiting Issues: Two things that were discussed in Division I was about re-evaluating the calendar for the fall and looking at recruiting and club issues. Specifically, when coaches coach club and then are working with their future athletes.

 

* USA Volleyball programs: Guidelines for college coaches getting involved in USA Volleyball programs.

 

Kim mentioned that she will continue to talk with Beth during the year and share the comments she receives from her. Kim also wanted to reiterate that anyone can stay up to date with the Division I Committee by checking out the minutes on the AVCA Web site at. The URL is: http://www.avca.org/committees/di/diminutesindex.asp

 

Phil Shoemaker then brought up the topic of the Division II Championship Festival. He mentioned that he had read an article in the NCAA News (see link at the end of this section) that mentioned they want to try and make the Festival an annual event. While he thinks the Festival is a great idea, he is concerned with the timing of it. Last year, teams lost one week of their season to have the Festival Championships before Thanksgiving. If the NCAA decides to make the Festival an annual event, he thinks they need to look at the scheduling and maybe change the timing of the event. He feels that Division II needs to keep the season at a consistent length to help keep a decent conference schedule.

 

Cody Hein agreed. He thinks the Festival is great, but that they need to get that missing weekend back to help out all of the players.

 

Kim added that people need to communicate this to their administrators. This is the time to be proactive she said, and get the word out about our concerns on this matter.

 

Melanie Nelson added that she thought that the Festival is huge. Miles Brand is big on them and that is why there is even one now for winter sports. She urged everyone to keep a positive spin on them and try to find ways to "fix it." Maybe write a by-law that says - "this is how it will work." Maybe say that on a Festival year, the season starts on a particular date (earlier than a regular year.)

 

However, there seemed to be some discrepancy on whether the plan is to have the Festival every year or every "few" years. Everyone agrees, the Festival is a good idea. Just need to work out the details of the timing of it so that Division II does not lose a week of playing dates. Melanie mentioned that it is by season and therefore, volleyball's festival would occur in the year 2010.

 

Click here for the referenced article in NCAA News.

 

VI. Old Business
There were a few topics of Old Business to discuss.

 

Kim started with Board Reports from June/July. Specifically, she mentioned:

 

* AVCA went over 4,000 members this summer. A new record.

 

* New Minority Grant is coming soon.

 

* Congratulations to Toby Bishop, new AVCA Sales person and all the hard work he has done so far since he joined the organization.

 

* The new AVCA - BusBank deal. BusBank has become the AVCA's newest preferred partner and is offering AVCA members 1.5 percent discounts if you use them. For more information, the URL is: www.busbank.com/avca

 

* Reiterated that the AVCA Convention web page will be up and running on Monday, August 20th and that people can start registering for the convention, which will be held in Sacramento, Dec. 12-15.

 

* NCAA Update: Melanie mentioned that the President's Council has endorsed the regionalization concept and it will be starting next year. More information will be forthcoming.

 

* Condition of Division II: Mentioned that Division II seems to be in good shape compared with some of the other divisions, which have schools moving around, etc.

 

* Male Practice Players: This is still being studied.

 

* Tournament selection changes: Mentioned that there are some changes in how teams are selected for the tournament. Check your NCAA handbooks for more information.

 

Kim concluded by asking for suggestions on when to hold the Division II call each month. Second or third Wednesday of the month? She mentioned that she definitely wants to wait until Division I has their call, so she can gather information and present it to the Division II members.

 

VII. Next Meeting
After some offline discussion, the decision was made to go with the third Wednesday of the month. So, the next meeting will be Wednesday, September 19th, 2007 at 1 p.m. Central Time. (2 p.m. Eastern Time)

 

Meeting adjourned at 2:55 p.m.

< back