February 7, 2007
Ferris State University
Augusta College, proxy Carla Decker, Lander U.
Chaminade University, NCAA meetings
Metro State College
U. of Science in Philadelphia
St. Mary's U. (TX)
University of New Haven, NCAA meetings
Lock Haven U.
Kentucky State U.
Virginia Union U.
U. of Alaska Fairbanks
Ø Convention Wrap-Up:
Kim asked the HCC if there were any questions or feedback regarding the convention minutes. You may also find the minutes posted: http://www.avca.org/committeesDetail.asp?id=2
Ø Board Report:
Junior's Volleyball Directors Association (JVDA): Kim briefly went over the Questions/Answer document sent out by the AVCA regarding the JVDA. She had mentioned that is is a chapter and provided a stronger voice for the club directors when working USA Volleyball. One of their main concerns was the cost to play in the national qualifiers.
Membership: Kim mentioned that our membership is up by 200 compared to last year at this time.
Spring Board Meetings: Kim stated that the May meetings will be in Lexington, KY. The board will be trained by Host Communications in how we can better serve you as members.
Minority Coaches Clinic: The next clinic will be held in New York City, May 20th.
If anyone is interested in this go to the website: www.avca.org
Collegiate Beach Championship: Kim listed the teams that will participate in the first beach championship: Nebraska, Florida, Utah, San Diego, UCLA, and Minnesota. This a project in the works with the NCAA and schools to adhere to the by-laws in place.
Ø AVCA Awards: Kim mentioned with the new regional re-alignment on hold, she will be waiting to the final work from the NCAA VB committee and how they will be evaluating teams. From here, Kim will work with Kelly Stumph and the Award's chairs to see what will work best when evaluating the nominees. Kim also mentioned she working with the current chairs to streamline the statistical data that they use to evaluate the nominees.
Ø NCAA Volleyball Championships: regionalization: Tia Brandel stepped out of the NCAA volleyball committee meetings in Indianapolis to talk with the HCC briefly about what will be occurring for the fall of 2008. The document sent out February 1 (attached) is what the volleyball committee will be using. Tia stated these points of interest:
When looking at comparisons among other regional teams:
2. Regional Results
3. Common Opponents
4. Strength of Schedule
Contests that will be considered within regional play:
1. Opponent within your state
2. Opponent that is adjacent (contiguous) to your state
3. Conference opponents
---NOT considered regional play is geographical region.
Ø NCAA January Meetings: Proposal and legislation: Melanie Nelson stated only those proposals that were significant to volleyball.
1. Player Individual Practices: this proposal was pulled and will be reviewed by the Management Council. What they will be looking at is the % base of a roster size per team.
2. Levels of football championships based on scholarships given failed.
3. Athletic scholarships equivalencies changes will now need a 2/3 vote within the conference and not a majority.
4. Clearinghouse: Senior prospective-athletes will need to be registered with the Clearinghouse and your institution listed before making an official visit.
5. Tryouts: Must have an updated physical within a 6 months period
6. CPR certification for all coaches: failed
Ø NCAA Rule Changes: Only one major change that will affect the volleyball field: 25 feet will be mandated for ceiling clearance.
Ø What do you want from the AVCA?
1. The convention is such a great experience that it would be nice to get all coaches there without worrying about the financial repercussions.
2. Many coaches with younger children do NOT attend the convention due to their time away from their family. What about making it a family event or having a daycare of sorts.
Ø Legislation Discussion: College Coaches/Club Coaches: Kim wanted feedback on those college coaches involved with the club teams in their hometown. Kim fell this can be a huge advantage to college coaches if there prospective student-athletes are on their team. Therefore these coaches will be working with their signees months before the start of the collegiate season. Ibraheem said that we should not look at it this way and keep in mind that we are getting quality coaches working with these SA. It is a great way to grow our sport in our community.
Ø AVCA: Update your personal profile on the AVCA website.
Next Call: Wednesday, March 7th 1:00 pm CT