Regional Awards Changes Beginning Fall 2013
This fall the process for selecting and naming the AVCA All Region Teams is changing. In order to increase the representation of the AVCA's member head coaches within the selection process, all member head coaches will now vote for the players they feel are most deserving of the award.
Also, the team itself will be specialized by position. This is due to the growing specialization of the game in which many student-athletes play exclusively in the front row or back row.
The amount of each position will include:
- 5 Outside/Opposite Hitters
- 3 Middle Blockers
- 2 Setters
- 1 Libero/Defensive Specialist
- 3 At-Large Selections
Rules and Notes regarding these changes
- Coaches cannot vote for their own players.
- Coaches must vote in order for their players to be considered for the All Region Team.
- Coaches must vote for a total of 14 players with a minimum amount of each position from the values above.
- The voting will take place online through a link provided on this page
- Regional Committees will remain intact to ensure the proper teams are named. Their main role is to review the votes and take action in the case of low voter turnout or obvious collusion.
- Vote totals will be made public once the Regional Teams are announced.
Why is the AVCA making this change?
- Increases representation of the member head coaches in the awards process
- Allows more transparency throughout the awards process
- Coaches choosing to not vote
Division I will be adding two new regions. In order for these regions to be added, an entire revamping of the regional alignment must be carried out.
Click here to view the new regional alignment.
Notes regarding the new regional alignment
- 10 total regions, instead of 8
- All conferences of more than 6 teams have been split into two regions
- No region will feature more than 40 teams
Why is the AVCA adding two new regions?
- Spread the elite talent in the case of an elite conference
- Increase regional proximity in ever changing conference landscape
If a mistake has been made in terms of conference affiliation, please contact Brad Wilson at 859-219-3520 or email@example.com.
The process for nominating players will remain the same. The timing of these changes will likely cause the nomination window to be moved up about a week, although the dates have not yet been finalized. Information regarding the dates and deadlines of these changes will be released later this summer.
Sample All-America Videos from Past AVCA All-Americans
Not sure what your All-America nominee's video footage should look like? View video footage from some previous AVCA Division I All-Americans.
2013 Important Dates
Friday, October 11 - Head Coach Membership Deadline
Wednesday, November 13 - Nationally/Regionally Ranked Teams Released
Friday, November 15 - Victory Club Form Deadline
Monday, Nov. 25 (8:00 a.m. EST) - Online nominations period opens for Women's DI Awards
Friday, Nov. 29 (5:00 p.m. EST) - Online nomination period closes for Women's DI All-America Awards
Sunday, Dec. 1 (8:00 a.m. EST) - Online voting period opens for DI All-Region Awards
Friday, Dec. 6 (5:00 p.m. EST) - Online voting period closes for DI All-Region Awards
Wednesday, Dec. 4 - Region Coach of the Year and National Assistant Coach of the Year Nominations Due
Monday, December 9 - Region Conference Calls
Tuesday, December 10 - Region Awards Announced
Wednesday, December 11 (5:00 pm EST) - All-America/NFOY Video Uploads Due
Sunday-Tuesday, December 15-17 - Division I Awards Committee Meetings
Wednesday, December 18 - All-America Teams Announced
Thursday, December 19 - DI National Coach of the Year announced at Jostens Coaches Honors Luncheon
Friday, December 20 - Division I Player of the Year and Freshman of the Year announced at Student-Athlete Awards Banquet
Video Upload Instructions (as of 11.9.12)
Misc. Nomination Forms
AVCA Manager of Awards, Membership & Event Support
Head Coach, University of Wisconsin
AVCA Board of Directors - Awards Representative