Regional Awards Changes Beginning Fall 2013
This fall the process for selecting and naming the AVCA All Region Teams is changing. In order to increase the representation of the AVCA's member head coaches within the selection process, all member head coaches will now vote for the players they feel are most deserving of the award.
Also, the team itself will be specialized by position. This is due to the growing specialization of the game in which many student-athletes play exclusively in the front row or back row.
The amount of each position will include:
- 5 Outside/Opposite Hitters
- 3 Middle Blockers
- 2 Setters
- 1 Libero/Defensive Specialist
- 3 At-Large Selections
Rules and Notes regarding these changes
- Coaches cannot vote for their own players.
- Coaches must vote in order for their players to be considered for the All Region Team.
- Coaches must vote for a total of 14 players with a minimum amount of each position from the values above.
- The voting will take place online through a link provided on this page
- Regional Committees will remain intact to ensure the proper teams are named. Their main role is to review the votes and take action in the case of low voter turnout or obvious collusion.
- Vote totals will be made public once the Regional Teams are announced.
Why is the AVCA making this change?
- Increases representation of the member head coaches in the awards process
- Allows more transparency throughout the awards process
- Coaches choosing to not vote
The process for nominating players will remain the same. The timing of these changes will likely cause the nomination window to be moved up about a week, although the dates have not yet been finalized. Information regarding the dates and deadlines of these changes will be released later this summer.
2013 Important Dates
Friday, October 11 - Head Coach Membership Deadline
Monday, October 21 - DIII Nationally/Regionally Ranked Teams released
Monday, October 28 (8:00 am EST) - Online nominations opens for Women's DIII All-America Awards
Friday, November 1 (5:00 pm EST) - Online nomination period closes for Women's DIII All-America Awards
Friday, November 1 (5:00 EST)- DIII National Assistant Coach of the Year and Region Coach of the Year nominations due to the AVCA office
Monday, November 4 (8:00 am EST) - All Region Team Coach voting opens
Friday, November 8 (5:00 pm EST) - All Region Team Coach voting period closes
Thursday, November 14 - AVCA DIII All-Region teams, DIII Region Freshman of the Year and Region Coaches of the Year announced
Friday, November 15 (5:00 pm EST) - Victory Club nominations due
Thursday, November 21 - AVCA DIII All-America Teams and National Freshman of the Year announced
Thursday, December 19 - AVCA DIII NCOY and NACOY announced
Misc. Nomination Forms
AVCA Awards, Events & Research Specialist
Head Coach, Indiana University
AVCA Board of Directors - Awards Representative