Regional Awards Changes Beginning Fall 2013
This fall the process for selecting and naming the AVCA All Region Teams is changing. In order to increase the representation of the AVCA's member head coaches within the selection process, all member head coaches will now vote for the players they feel are most deserving of the award.
Also, the team itself will be specialized by position. This is due to the growing specialization of the game in which many student-athletes play exclusively in the front row or back row.
The amount of each position will include:
- 5 Outside/Opposite Hitters
- 3 Middle Blockers
- 2 Setters
- 1 Libero/Defensive Specialist
- 3 At-Large Selections
Rules and Notes regarding these changes
- Coaches cannot vote for their own players.
- Coaches must vote in order for their players to be considered for the All Region Team.
- Coaches must vote for a total of 14 players with a minimum amount of each position from the values above.
- The voting will take place online through a link provided on this page
- Regional Committees will remain intact to ensure the proper teams are named. Their main role is to review the votes and take action in the case of low voter turnout or obvious collusion.
- Vote totals will be made public once the Regional Teams are announced.
Why is the AVCA making this change?
- Increases representation of the member head coaches in the awards process
- Allows more transparency throughout the awards process
- Coaches choosing to not vote
The process for nominating players will remain the same. The timing of these changes will likely cause the nomination window to be moved up about a week, although the dates have not yet been finalized. Information regarding the dates and deadlines of these changes will be released later this summer.
2013 Important Dates
Friday, November 1 - Nationally/Regionally Ranked Teams Released
Monday, November 11 (8:00 am EST) - Online nominations opens for Women's DII All-America Awards
Monday, November 18 (5:00 pm EST) - Online nomination period closes for Women's DII All-America Awards
Friday, November 15 (5:00 pm EST) - Victory Club nominations DUE
Wednesday, November 20 (8:00 am EST) - All Region Team Coach Voting opens
Wednesday, November 20 - AVCA DII National Assistant Coach of the Year & AVCA DII Region Coach of the Year nominations due to AVCA office
Tuesday, November 26 (5:00 pm EST) - All Region Team Coach Voting period closes
Monday, December 2 - DII All-Region, Region Freshman of the Year and Region Coaches of the Year Conference Call
Wednesday, December 4 - DII All-Region Teams, Region Freshman of the Year and Region Coaches of the Year announced
Sunday, December 8 - DII All-America Committee/NPOY/NCOY Conference Call
Thursday, December 12 - AVCA DII All-America Teams, AVCA DII NPOY and National Freshman of the Year announced
Thursday, December 19 - AVCA DII NCOY and NACOY announced
Misc. Nomination Forms
Region Coach of the Year Nomination Form
National Assistant Coach of the Year Nomination Form
2013 DII Nationally & Regionally Ranked Teams
AVCA Awards, Events & Research Specialist
Head Coach, Wingate University
AVCA Division II Awards Chair
Head Coach, Indiana University
AVCA Board of Directors - Awards Representative