Reading Memorial High School
AVCA: Who or what has made you want to pursue coaching?
Michelle Hopkinson: I believe it is a combination of both. I was a three season athlete in high school. I had a passion for playing and competition; and being part of a team. I didn't know I loved coaching until I was given the opportunity to return to my former high school to assist coaching in three sports. Having former coaches and teachers support me and believe in me as a coach was definitely a positive influence. I wanted to share my passion for the sport as well as be a positive influence on my athletes.
AVCA: Who or what has been your biggest coaching influence?
MH: It is definitely the kids. I continue to love coaching and learning more about the sport so I can share that knowledge with the players.
AVCA: Please list your past and present coaching/playing experiences:
- Played in high school
- JV coach at Avon Middle High School for 2 years
- Varsity coach at Avon Middle High school for 5 years
- JV coach one year at Reading Memorial High School
- Currently, Head Coach at Reading Memorial High School, 6th season
- Currently, Open Coach for North Shore Juniors Volleyball Club
- Currently, Director, Rocket Volleyball, a youth volleyball program in Reading serving grades 2- 8.
- Currently, Secretary of the Massachusetts Girls Volleyball Coaches Association
AVCA: What are you most looking forward to at the 2012 AVCA Annual Convention?
MH: Where do I begin?! I am looking forward to the opportunity to network and collaborate with coaches from around the nation. I am looking forward to learn new techniques and strategies of the game that I can bring back to my program. I am always searching for new technology or ideas that I feel the vendors can provide. I am looking forward to the overall experience of the event.